Steam Pressure - Too strong

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
mopiko

Post by mopiko »

hi All,
I just purchased the Mini Vivaldi II and have it for 2 months now.
Im the only coffee drinker in the house, thus i steam milk in only a small amount, and i use the single portafilter for shots
12Oz pitcher, milk filled to the bottom tip.

Ive tried the manual setting to bring down the steam pressure by 3 notches but it is still too powerful.
I can never get microfoam, jez bubbly foam and really hot milk below.
Couldnt even get the chance for a real swirl, the milk its already way too hot.

Since mine is a the new machine, i believe it comes in the 4-hole 0.9mm tip.
I tried stuffing toothpick into 2 of the holes and i get much lower steam pressure, & better milk foam

Now the question is: do i change to a 2 hole tip? where can i get one that is compatible to my mini V2 steamwand.

Is it just me; that needs more steam practice? or do i really need to change my tip

I came from the Breville dual boiler b4 purchases this; where i steam very good milk with the Breville wand(Low steam pressure)

Any thoughts?
sorinherea
Americano

Post by sorinherea »

Are you sure that is not the 1,3mm? Did you mesure it?

You can also try this one with 2 holes, easier with small quantities of milk:
https://www.chriscoffee.com/2_Hole_Stea ... 0980sv.htm2HoleSteamTip
Last edited by sorinherea on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
sorinherea
Americano

Re: Steam Pressure - Too strong

Post by sorinherea »

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The main problem with this option is that it is intended for the "no burn" steam arm which is not stock. Plus the cost of shipping and VAT added to get it to the UK. There ought to be a part source somewhere in the EU that could be used before Brexit kicks in!

On the other hand, what is the reading on your steam pressure gauge? We should make sure it's a user issue rather than a machine issue before switching tips.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
sorinherea
Americano

Post by sorinherea »

1,2bar

This tip fits the stock arm also, I have it on my Vivaldi and I switch between this tip and the stock one with 4 holes without any problem.

Return to “VII General Q&A”