V1 or V2?!!

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
jcran17
Americano

V1 or V2?!!

Post by jcran17 »

I am looking at a used S1 and am hoping for some help in deciphering if it is a V1 or V2. I read through the V1 vs. V2 photo page and here is what I have gathered.

1.) Manufactured in 2007
2.) Round steam pressure gauge only
3.) Temp in 5 deg. increments
4.) New style temp probe in boiler
5.) Plastic shield over vacuum breaker valve
6.) Control panel in black plastic box
7.) 4-hole steam tip

If it is in fact a V2, I am going to upgrade from my Brewtus 2. What do you think?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: V1 or V2?!!

Post by chas »

LaSpaziale starting shipping the V2 in early 2007 but the shipments of the V1 continued until supplies were exhausted. You definitely have a V1 however, at some point they started shipping both machines with the same controller board that supports either V1 or V2 style operation.

Try the steps below to find out. Bottom line: If you unplug the machine and then plug it back in and you see green yellow LEDs flash once, you can put your machine in V2 mode. If neither of these happens then your machine is just a plain V1.

4.10 V1/VII Mode Switch

The VII Controller board actually has a backward compatible mode that emulates the
functionality of the original VI. None of the advanced features of the VII are available when
the controller is in VI mode. If you don’t seem to be able to access the VII features, your
machine might have inadvertently gotten switched to VI mode. If in doubt as to which mode
you are in, just unplug the VII and then plug back in to see if the three yellow or three green
lamps blink once. Yellow = VII mode and Green = VI mode.

With the VII in Standby mode (ON/STBY blinking green), press and hold the Hot Water
button for at least 10 seconds. If three yellow lights blink once your machine is now in VII
mode. If three green lights blink once the machine is now in VI mode. Each time you hold in
the Hot Water button for 10 seconds while in Standby (ON/STBY blinking green), the mode
toggles.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jcran17
Americano

Post by jcran17 »

Thanks so much. I will have him give it a try and see what happens.

Assuming it has a V2 control board, I could just send it to Chris' for the 2008 firmware update, +/- change the pressure gauge, and +/- change the temp sticker to 1 deg. instead of 5 deg and then I would essentially have a V2 top to bottom?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Assuming this machine has a V2 board, you should still check on how much a new sticker, dual manometer kit plus new front panel, and controller board reprogramming will cost. You should also assume that some additional maintenance will likely be required on an 8 year old espresso machine.

You might also want to post in the S1Cafe's Swap Meet section that you are interested in purchasing a used V2 that already has the preinfusion firmware upgrade and see what pops up.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jcran17
Americano

Post by jcran17 »

Thank you Chas and great point. Even if I could get it at a great price, those additions are not without cost, even if it is a V2; not to mention general wear and tear parts over the years of use.

Not a bad idea to post up on the swap meet and see if anything shakes out.

Return to “VII General Q&A”