Lot of purging needed

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
leftism

Lot of purging needed

Post by leftism »

I own a S1V2 I bought used.
From the start I've noticed that I need to purge it alot to get wet steam. First I checked the autofill probe and lowered it as much as possible, which helped a bit.
But if I don't purge alot I get wet steam so my routine is like this , purge for about 10 seconds then I grind and make a shot while the pressure builds up again, and when the pressure is up I purge 4-5 times ( just quick purges ).
Since I bought it used I'm not sure and I've read that the steam should be very dry, but I just get pretty dry steam after alot of purging.

Is this normal behaviour for the S1?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Lot of purging needed

Post by chas »

If you only checked whether water level probe was up too high and didn't actually completely remove it for inspection, you should do so. Just loosen that top, smaller nut and pull it out. It's possible that the botttom ~1" is so coated with mineral deposits that it doesn't actually sense the level until the water is above the coated part. This could be the equivalent of having your probe set 1" too high. If it is coated soak in hot vinegar until it is soft enough to wipe or scrape off.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
leftism

Post by leftism »

I forgot to mention that. I did remove it completely and descaled it and even used some sandpaper afterwards to get it clean. So I don't think the water lever is to high. Im not sure what more I can try
leftism

Post by leftism »

Im thinking the probe may be switched out since I bought the machine used.. Does anyone know how long the water level probe is?
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

About 4 inches, if I remember correctly
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Check this part out. It is longer than necessary so that you can cut it to the desired length. If you look at the back side of the steam boiler you can see the connector nearest the top which is the steam tube. Lower down are the pipes for hot water out and cold water in. The probe needs to be somewhere between these two sets of pipes. Too near the steam tube and you get a lot of sputtering and wet steam. Too low and you don't get enough hot water. With this replacement you can adjust the length to get the ideal mix you are after.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Liquid-Leve ... p/v072.htm
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
leftism

Post by leftism »

Thanks. I will order a new probe and I hope it will fix it. I've read a post on another forum that the cleaning up the pipes and descaling them might help (not a Spaziale machine, but similiar problem), so I will go for a descale when I have some time over.
It's good that the S1 has a drain plug, so syphoning is not needed.

I wonder why they put the steam tube on the side of the boiler instead of putting it on the top of the boiler? If they would have put the connection on the top instead less water would be sitting in the tube after a idling.

Return to “VII General Q&A”