Any way to install the Dream controller on an S1?

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Michael_D

Any way to install the Dream controller on an S1?

Post by Michael_D »

I was wondering if anyone has done this, or if it could even be done. I like the GUI on the Dream model, but not so much to make me want to buy a new machine to get it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Any way to install the Dream controller on an S1?

Post by chas »

My educated guess is that it would be cheaper to sell your current machine and buy a new Dream.

The S1 and VII have a dumb display and all the actual control functionality is in the controller board which is in the black plastic box on the bottom right side of the machine. In the Dream design the intelligence is up in the display and the new controller board down in the box contains mostly the control relays.

So you'd have to replace both the controller board, the front panel GUI display, and the front panel metal piece that the display mounts to for starters. The control functions in the display now have all the sensor wires running to the display rather than to the controller board which means you'd need to replace much of the wiring harness as well.

However, if you bought a new wiring harness, that harness would be setup to interface with the new SSRs that control power to the boilers and not for the Triacs used in earlier models so that part would most likely not work with your model either.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Michael_D

Post by Michael_D »

Thanks for the response. I had no idea it would be that involved. Bummer. Chris Coffee would have to sell a "kit" to do the conversion. If I had a market for used machines where I live, I'd consider selling it, but I do not.
Dan Bollinger

Post by Dan Bollinger »

Maybe there is a market. The Vivaldis are commercial machines. Sell yours to a sandwich shop, bar, or other location that could use a small espresso machine.

Return to “VII General Q&A”