New batch of S1 Dream's Shipping -- Who's in?

General questions, comments, and discussions about the Dream Tank version. New owners post your impressions of your Dream T - likes, dislikes, and any other comments.
bobbytuck

New batch of S1 Dream's Shipping -- Who's in?

Post by bobbytuck »

Just got a note from Chris that the new batch of Dreams are shipping as of 11/7/13.

I'm in for a Dream T red -- arriving Monday, 11/11 (at least that's what my tracking # says).

Will post first impressions. Anyone else?
Last edited by bobbytuck on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goodboyr
Barista

Re: New batch of S1 Dream's Shipping -- Who's in?

Post by goodboyr »

Will be interested to hear exactly what's different. Hopefully not just superficial changes.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
bobbytuck

Post by bobbytuck »

Machine arrived in perfect condition. The red finish is spectacular. It's quite the machine. My previous machine had been a PID'd Isomac Amica -- still have it, but it has non functional pump -- so I was excited to try the S1 Dream.

Fired it up, filled the boiler, and let it go for 30 minutes or so. Took about a half pound pound of 5 day old Black Cat to dial it in (using a Mazzer Mini), and I was pulling ok shots. Not great -- but I think I was back where I had been with the Isomac.

A couple of questions right off the bat:

- Is there a way to change the temperature on the fly without using one of the preprogrammed user profiles? I know I can program a user with a specific temperature, but I'd like to be able to change the temp only without having to re-program the user.

- Also, how do you move from one user to another on the fly? I tried pressing the up/down arrows -- but I didn't see the user profile change.

- Finally, how do I tell what version of software I have? I'm assuming I'm running 1.19 -- but I wanted to check and see if these new S1's had a newer version.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1857

If the version is later than 1.19 let me know.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bobbytuck

Post by bobbytuck »

Thanks!

Will try pressing the arrows (later this evening) and see what happens. I'll let you know if the software is different.

In terms of on-the-fly temp adjustments -- is the only way to change the temperature to change the profile with a new temperature (and changing all the other variables associated with the new profile)?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As far as I know, that's the only way to change the temperature.
Chas
Hottop P/B
bobbytuck

Post by bobbytuck »

Just checked the serial number/software version on the new Dream T -- it's 1.19 (holding up arrow for three seconds).

And the down-arrow-to-change-user-profile works great, too.

Seems like a great little machine. I've been dialing in a couple different versions of Black Cat -- Classic and Analog -- and along with my Mazzer Mini, I'm very pleased with the shots and overall operation.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

When I discussed the upgraded machines with Chris Nachtrieb a few weeks ago, he mentioned that they were now happy with the software and that it would probably not get updated anytime soon unless they planned to add a new feature. I asked if the new Dreams would ship with v1.19 or if they would have a newer version and he didn't know, so thanks for the confirmation. Based on my testing, 1.19 was pretty solid.

Since I help support the machine here on the S1Cafe and also plan to use the machine to help CCS update their documentation, Chris offered to update my machine so it was just like the new ones that are starting to ship. I shipped mine back at least 6 weeks ago so hopefully I will see it again soon.

I will probably pop the covers before I even plug it in so I can check on everything that's been changed. I wrote down the serial number of my machine before I shipped it as I am not certain it they will ship the same machine back to me or not. The upgrades to CCS' existing inventory (and my machine) are actually being done by LS USA in Connecticut and not by CCS. However, they are then returned to CCS prior to customer shipment.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Chas: When you get your updated one back please make particular note of the temperature sensors and whether the plastic tubing has been changed/improved. These are two areas of weakness I've experience.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I know they've already replaced that plastic tube surrounded by a spring that was used for the 3-way valve with the same copper pipe fitting used in previous models. So that will be in new machines already and not part of this change. Was there another specific area of plastic tubing you are interested in?
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Yes. I'm aware of that one and my machine has the copper tubing for the drain. The tubing I am talking about is the thin Teflon tubing for pressurized water to and from the flow sensor, inlet and outlet from steam boiler and group boiler, etc. It appears that they sometimes run the lengths too short causing the tubing to bend at the push in fitting and leak, and there is a mismatch between tubing od and the fittings causing leaks. I've had several leaks (since fixed) on these. I think the Vivaldi's have copper lines for most of these runs.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

All the water lines to and from the steam boiler in previous Vivaldi's were plastic, but you are correct that the water lines to and from the volumetric sensor were copper.
back.jpg
S1 Back View
(813.67 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Front.JPG
S1 Front View
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Well, just had another failure of the group temperature sensor. That makes three. Sure would be nice to know whether CCS or LaSpaz has changed the design or make to fix this. As before, the symptom is an extreme wandering temp reading. Bounces from 175 to 215 and back. Causes overheating and alarm.
Bob
bugeyes

Post by bugeyes »

Just received mine two days ago, in black, have question regarding set your pump pressure indicating in the manual, do you do it with portafilter with coffee or without coffee while adjusting the pressure? didn't state so clear in the manual, I would assume this would be already adjusted at Chris Coffee before they sending out but mine is saying at 6 bar? thanks.
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Best way to do it is with the rubber blank that comes with the machine. Instructions are in the manual on the CCS site.
Bob
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Just to be specific on the temperature sensor, here is what it looks like and the label. For anyone with a new Dream machine, is it the same?

Bob
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

I should be receiving my Dream-T tomorrow from CCS. If I have a chance tomorrow I will try to check for you. This is my first espresso machine and am really excited to get up and running!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I have since had a conversation with CCS and they think that this is the latest version that is in the new machines. Still would be good to verify that. Thanks!
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

goodboyr wrote:Well, just had another failure of the group temperature sensor. That makes three. Sure would be nice to know whether CCS or LaSpaz has changed the design or make to fix this. As before, the symptom is an extreme wandering temp reading. Bounces from 175 to 215 and back. Causes overheating and alarm.
It's getting hard to believe that one person is having so much trouble with this fairly reliable sensor unless perhaps the issue is actually something else masquerading as a bad sensor. I think the group and steam boilers use the same sensor. Have you tried swapping them to see if the problem shifts to the steam boiler or if you still see the same issue on the group boiler? I am starting to wonder if you have a flaky ground (or missing ground wire) somewhere in your machine.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I know what you mean. It has been a suspicion of mine as well. But my store says they've replaced at least 10 of them on the dreams they've sold. And when I install the new one, everything works fine for a few months. CCS says they had a bad batch but the new ones are reliable. I did try the swap with the boiler one on one of the previous failures and it proved the sensor was bad. As well, the typical symptoms are a gradual deterioration of the temperature reading until it goes into full failure. Since these appear to be PT1000 RTD's (based on the resistance reading of a new one at room temperature), there's not much to go wrong. A bad ground would show pretty quickly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this new one is a "normal" RTD that lasts forever. There's really no physical reason for them to fail like this unless the internal junction was bad to begin with. Go figure...
Last edited by goodboyr on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Looks like I am not going to be "in" from here on out. CCS had provided me with a loaner so I could help support and document the machine on the forum. However, there were so many issues and software fixes that I decided to wait for documentation until things settled down. Just when they were settling down, CCS noted the upgrades that were coming out on the new models and offered to upgrade mine. So I sent it in but when it came time to ship it back, they decided that my loan period was up.

My wife is happy about getting her counter space back, but that will leave you all to fend for yourselves on most future Dream support issues. Hopefully, we have enough active Dream members on the forum to do that. Otherwise, we'll just have to direct folks to contact CCS tech support directly for all operational/documentation type of issues.
Chas
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Sorry to hear that, Chas. You have been an exceptional help to us, and I think CCS is losing out on a no cost assist to their service. I will continue to contribute to this forum and perhaps with others make up in small way for the loss of your direct experience with the Dreams.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Nothing really major has changed with the basic plumbing since the original S1 was released. I still have a good enough memory of that to help with those type of questions but without a Dream machine handy, questions on the GUI interface and other things that have changed are going to be beyond me.

Since I do read all the posts on the Forum, I do pick up some things by "osmosis". Any help I've provided to tank model specific issues is an example of that since I've never owned a non-plumbed model. I can usually note when a question has already been asked and answered and direct the person to the original thread. (New user's seem to avoid using the search feature! :lol: )
Chas
Hottop P/B
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

Shoot just as I get one you lose yours lol. Well glad you are still around should any help be needed.

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

It looks like I'll be getting one after all. However, I need to wait until all the current outstanding orders are filled, so I may not see it until after the first of the year. Plus it looks like I will get one that was a real lemon before being refurbished rather than the one I sent back. So I'll get a chance to see if all the fixes really work.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Ch83

Post by Ch83 »

Well still excited to see you will have one for some hands-on support. Your Sig says you have a GS3? How do you like it?

goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

chas wrote:It looks like I'll be getting one after all. However, I need to wait until all the current outstanding orders are filled, so I may not see it until after the first of the year. Plus it looks like I will get one that was a real lemon before being refurbished rather than the one I sent back. So I'll get a chance to see if all the fixes really work.
Lol. Probably the first one I got that I returned because of all the leaks and issues. I've still got a record of that serial number to compare.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Ch83 wrote:Well still excited to see you will have one for some hands-on support. Your Sig says you have a GS3? How do you like it?

The GS/3 rules. When tuned up the new Dream probably makes coffee and milk foam every bit as good as the GS/3 but the GS/3 is more of a "Dream" to use - and it should be for the price.

I like the general external design of the GS/3 better - much more room to maneuver for coffee, steam, and hot water. Plus the hot water temperature is adjustable and the water is pre-heated by the steam boiler on the way into the group boiler which further stabilizes the temp. However, when things go wrong, the S1 line is much easier to work on and the parts cost less when out of warranty.

On the plus side for the Dream, even though the GS/3 firmware is user upgradeable getting a copy of the latest firmware is even harder than actually programming it. The dream on the other hand is a breeze to reprogram and Chris Coffee makes the firmware updates readily available.

Assuming that the new Dream fixes and upgrades truly do the job, I am guessing it will be a long time before the next overhaul as it will be possible to add features and updates to the machines operation via firmware so that an entirely redesigned machine is not needed.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Maotoying

Post by Maotoying »

My Dream came in the color black with sparkles last Friday. I am very impressed.

I am coming from the S1 Dream's forerunner, the original S1 Vivaldi. Plumbed my new Dream in with the existing Vivaldi 1's tubing, replaced the tired two stage filters, plugged in the 20 amp, lights glowed. Fantastic. Yes, the ambient lighting is part of the show. Matches my tuxedo-black 2013 F150 Limited's ambient lighting.

Now I want my old black Mini Mazzer Man repainted in matching sparkly black - and how to add ambient lighting to the Mini Mazzer ?

Return to “Dream T General Q&A”