Triple Shots

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Triple Shots

Post by rhinoevans »

Just got my new Portafilter with a new triple basket. I am currently in Saudi Arabia, and will not be home for 2 weeks.

Wife is trying to use the triple basket. What are the rules? Just push the double button, or reprogram for a longer pull???

The first one she did with the triple was to push single, then double. I am sure this is wrong. Just looking for some advice.

She said it was good, and a much better espresso tast??? Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Triple Shots

Post by chas »

As a rule triple baskets are NOT used to make triple shots. You're just looking for a richer tasting double and also giving yourself a bit more headroom between the top of the coffee and the shower screen.

However, the real rule is that there are no rules. Experiment and go with whatever tastes good.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

But, doing it the way your wife did it is probably not what most people do. I expect, the way to do it it program one of the buttons for the amount of volume you want in the finished shot.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Richard is correct. The normal way is to pull the same volume you currently do with a double basket. However, you will have to reprogram the volumetic dosing to accomplish this. With more coffee in the triple filter, more water will get absorbed and stay in the coffee, so you will end up with less in the cup until you reprogram.

It kind of ends up being a 2oz Ristretto.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Wife pull a triple with the standard double button. She said very good, and said that same volume as with a double basket. She is not into the scientific aspects of espresso, so now she doesnt weight the beans, doesnt time her shots, doesnt measure her volume, but is she said it was good and better than a double, whose to argue. Sounds like a worthy investment. I will be home in 10 days and cant wait to try.

Also just ordered the precision group screens and mechanical pre infusion.

A few toys for a 10 year old faithful friend S1V1.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

rhinoevans wrote:
A few toys for a 10 year old faithful friend S1V1.
As I was making my morning Americanos, I was reflecting on how good this machine is. I'm knocking on wood, but, it's hard for me to imagine a machine that makes a better shot. I do entertain myself from time to time with thoughts of a GS3 or a Londinium, but then I ask myself, why bother?
Pryz

Post by Pryz »

I have the same thoughts. Then I wonder if I'll taste the difference. I doubt it.
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

Sad to announce the retirement of the truly faithful Double basket. Long live the Triple!!!

Return to “General Q&A”