On the Fence About Grinder Purchase

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
jgaepi

On the Fence About Grinder Purchase

Post by jgaepi »

So I am new. New to hands on espresso. New to espresso grinding, tamping, extraction, etc. I just sold my Delonghi Magnifica. And making a 30k foot leap in big purchases.

I have a Mini Vivaldi on order through Clive w/ the wood panels. I currently own the Breville Smart Grinder for my technovorm but realize it won't work for espresso. Mainly because who has the time to constantly switch back and forth between settings.

So I am on the fence about better grinders. I read about the Mahlkonig Pro M espresso and see mixed reviews. Mazzer Mini E has mixed reviews. The only consistent reviews I see are about the Rancillio grinder but I figure that isn't future proof.

Ideally I like the Mahlkonig Pro M. It is the right size, weight, look, espresso specific, etc. But the reviews are all over the place.

So I want a future proof grinder, no taller than 17in, that works well with the Mini Vivaldi. Help set my mind at ease ...
GDK
God Shot

Re: On the Fence About Grinder Purchase

Post by GDK »

I had the Rancilio Rocky before - it may be great for cheaper espresso machines with pressurized portafilters, but is does not cut it for the likes of the Vivaldi and up. Have you considered the Baratza Vario line (sold by Mahlkonig in Europe)? There are very very few good grinders, besides the Vario, that will fit within 17" tall space and leave enough clearance to load the beans. What is your budget?
jgaepi

Post by jgaepi »

My budget is whatever I need to avoid buying another machine within the foreseeable future. Not $1500+ but I wouldn't back away from $900 for a Mazzer doserless. I read a lot of negative comments about the Vario.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

jgaepi wrote:
So I am on the fence about better grinders. I read about the Mahlkonig Pro M espresso and see mixed reviews. Mazzer Mini E has mixed reviews. The only consistent reviews I see are about the Rancillio grinder but I figure that isn't future proof.

Ideally I like the Mahlkonig Pro M. It is the right size, weight, look, espresso specific, etc. But the reviews are all over the place.

So I want a future proof grinder, no taller than 17in, that works well with the Mini Vivaldi. Help set my mind at ease ...
I have the Pro M and have found it to be a good grinder. The WAF is very high and the mess is minimal with the right technique. The big draw back is the hassle of cleaning it easily. You basically have to disassemble it to clean the grinder.

I also have an HG One. The WAF on looks is very high, very low on use. I still have a major problem with spritzers also. I have kind of given up on this equipment and I am probably going to get rid of it. I had a older Mini Mazzer and it worked great. It was the gold standard in its day, but it is way to big for good WAF. Good luck.
jgaepi

Post by jgaepi »

I see "WAF" used all the time. What is that term? I know it as Wife Acceptance Factor.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

jgaepi wrote:I see "WAF" used all the time. What is that term? I know it as Wife Acceptance Factor.
That would be correct.
jgaepi

Post by jgaepi »

So I bought the Mazzer Mini E. I tried to get my head around how I could fit the K30 in my smallish kitchen w/ a Mini Vivaldi, Technovorm and Breville Grinder already. Plus the WAF in regards to size. Just wouldn't be able to pull it off. So Mazzer it is and no looking back I guess.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”