File on SD Card

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

File on SD Card

Post by chas »

I asked Jason of CCS about that S1D_107.bin file that comes on the SD Card with the Dreams. It seems that what we had assumed about that file is true.

Chas,

That is the latest firmware version that is already loaded on the machine. We pre-loaded the cards so people would have a copy in case the firmware got corrupt in the machine.

Regards,
Jason
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
etout00

Re: File on SD Card

Post by etout00 »

Chas,

Did Jason mention whether or not we are able to read and/or write our profiles with the SD card or was that something that is not capable with this software version? I was curious about this, hopefully we can read/write profiles and the SD card slot isn't just for software updates. Also was there any indication given as to whether CCS and La Spaziale are working on any new software updates or features?

Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

1) Only Read capability is there in the current SW which is good since that is required to load and program new software versions.
2) Therefore, it is not possible to save profiles at this time
3) LaSpaziale is working on a SW update, but we have no idea when we might see that, nor how CCS intends to get it in our hands. I assume there will be some kind of download link on the CCS website.
Chas
Hottop P/B
PyroKerry
Macchiato

Post by PyroKerry »

Chas,
That is odd. I can write profiles, and I can then load the profile I have written. When I select 'Write' with the SD card connected, it gives the same 'Next Firmware' error message you get. But, when I look at the contents of the SD card, it has a new copy of the profile file with the new parameters. I can Load this profile and it will overwrite any parameters that I've changed.
Kerry
La Spaziale S1 Dream
Mazzer Mini E
Bunn Trifecta MB
Baratza Virtuoso (Preciso burrs)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

After reading your message, I tried to write my Profiles again...nothing.

However, then I decided to try an experiment. I reloaded the version 1.07 software file that came on the SDCard onto the machine. That was a bit of an adventure itself not having any documentation and not knowing what to expect. At one point it said to "Press the OK Button". I correctly assumed in the absence of any such thing that they must mean the "Menu" button and that did seem to be what was needed. Once the programming was complete it said "Reboot Machine". Since there isn't anything close to a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I unplugged the machine and plugged it back it which also worked. I did not see any other buttons that seemed to be "alive" at that point so I guess this is the only way to "Reboot" the machine.

Then I tried the Write function and, lo and behold, I now have a file called Dream_R.csv. Of course since I reprogrammed the machine I lost the two Profiles I had set up. So my next experiment will be to redo them and try write again.

It was interesting to see by looking at the contents of the CSV files that all the settings which are made outside of the profiles appear to be sticky through the reprogramming.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I was hasty in my assessment from the previous post. I just tried to write the profiles again and got nothing. I think the Dream_R.csv file is a backup the machine makes prior to uploading the software so that it can restore everything after the software "update". (Update in this case to the same version already on the machine.) And I was also wrong on my earlier assessment that the profiles had not been restored. They had. The profile information is included in the csv file.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

To continue my previous discussion, since it is so easy and fast to rewrite the SW with the same version that comes on the SD card and that process seems to save the complete machine state including Profiles to a file, I guess that process can be used if desired to obtain a settings backup. It's not quite as quick and easy as the process should be when the Write mode is implemented. However, if you want a backup, it's really not bad to just do a software reload.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As previously noted here, the Read/Write function is supposedly not active on the 1.07 software. However, PyroKerry says that it works and no one else. As it turns out he may actually be correct and also have a future at LaSpaziale. 8)

By normal convention with a memory device, Write means you are putting data and/or files on the storage device and Read means you are taking data and/or files off the device. However, LaSpaziale decided to use read and write from the viewpoint of the machine. So you read data from the machine and put it into a file on the SD Card and you write the data back to the machine from the SD card.

If you want to see if your Dream really can save the machine state to the card, use the Read function and then check your card on a PC to see if you have a file called DREAM_R.csv.

If you then want to try to see if it will write back to the machine, change the file name to DREAM_W.csv and then use the Write function. (Another current design quirk.)

BTW: If this does work for you, it does NOT save the profiles and allow you to share them with other DREAM owners. Rather it is really a complete backup of all your machine settings. Everything.

CCS still says this feature is not working and it is definitely not supported. So try it at your own risk. You are flying without a net.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”