Deeply disappointed by vario grinder

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
cohensa1

Deeply disappointed by vario grinder

Post by cohensa1 »

Hi everyone. I'm new here as I just got my mini vivaldi today from Chris coffee. I thought there would be a steep learning curve with the vivaldi but I am off to a good start.

Unfortunately my experience with the vario was a totally different story. Once assembled I followed instructions to the letter and the machine was spitting out gravel sized ground coffee. I kept raising the macro to a finer grind (while the machine was grinding) and saw no difference. I ended up with both micro and macro adjustments to full fine adjustment and the coffee was identical.

I read the manual again and tried to zero the machine. Put the machine to finest macro then slowly raiser micro but heard no motor noise change. I got the tool provided and attempted to adjust the fineness very carefully and slowly following directions. After an hour of fiddling with the thing and getting the same barely ground coffee the 2mm hex key had stripped.

A call to Barazza instantly had me on the line with a cheerful helper but she was not empowered to do anything. I was told a tech person would return my call in an hour. No one ever called back. I have a $450 grinder that does not grind coffee and I was very displeased with the lack of service I have received so far. As to my technical prowess, I am not the worlds most gifted engineer but I do most of the work on my own aircraft so I am fairly technically inclined.

Chris coffee won't service or take the machine back. So I will be stuck with a replacement of an obviously inferior machine if the poor customer service people ever call me back.

Not a great start after lurking here and trying to be ready for my foray into fine coffee
Endo

Re: Deeply disappointed by vario grinder

Post by Endo »

I've dealt with Baratza Support several times and always had great response. Call or write them again and I'd be very surprised if they didn't send you a replacement grinder right away.
cohensa1

Post by cohensa1 »

Sadly 5 phone calls later no response and no hope for a new grinder for the weekend.

Not just disappointed by Baratza. At this point I am also pretty down on Chris coffee that sold me a bum grinder and won't support it. They should of sent me a new one right away and dealt with Baratza themselves. Of course I'm not about to call them after the storm of the century. But I'm certainly not happy having a $450 grinder that makes pea sized gravel.
Endo

Post by Endo »

cohensa1 wrote:Sadly 5 phone calls later no response and no hope for a new grinder for the weekend.
I understand your disappointment. But I suggest you be patient. It must have something to do with the storm. I've never heard of Baratza or CCS not responding. I will bet anything that if you write them an e-mail, they will deliver you a new grinder no questions asked, but it may take an extra week due to these weather and power problems we are having right now.
expy98

Post by expy98 »

where are you located? maybe a local member could loan you something in the meantime.
If you're in the area, I can loan you a Pharos...
secuspec

Post by secuspec »

Guys, perhaps it needs just some re-calibration.

Please refer to the Home Barista Article on how to recalibrate the Baratza Vario.

http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/re ... 10282.html

I am almost certain that this will solve the problem as it did on my own Vario.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”