Initial Setting

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
edcoffee

Initial Setting

Post by edcoffee »

I'm new to the automatic espresso machine world and would like to ask for initial setting on the Vivaldi ii. I'm pairing it with MCAP steepless grinder. Thanks.
Endo

Re: Initial Setting

Post by Endo »

I assume you mean temperature? Try setting it in the middle to start....94C.

Grind fine enough so you get about 40ml in 30 seconds. Dose with 16g of coffee. Tamp with 30 lbs of pressure. This will get you started.

......ohhh.....and most important.....use FRESH COFFEEE not longer than 3 weeks from roast! (or you might as well forget the earlier stuff).
slo
Barista

Re: Initial Setting

Post by slo »

Welcome and congratulation.
There are no secret recipe... You will have to experiment and find your own methods and taste preferences.

But I would recommend, as an initial setting, the basic almost agreed upon (not really, but I have to give you something!! :grin: ) start point. Adjust the grinder to get a 25 to 30 seconds flow time, including pre-infusion time which you can start experimenting with at 3 seconds with a 14 to 16 grams of ground coffee, with the temperature set at 93°C and yielding about 45 to 60 ml (1.5 to 2 oz) of coffee including the crema.

This morning my shots were made from 15 grams of an homemade blend, yielding about 50 ml of coffee. Machine was set at 92°C, with 8 seconds of pre-infusion with 3 bars of line pressure. Flow time was around 40 seconds with a very slow start.

Hopes this helps you a bit.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?

Return to “Tips & Tricks”