WTB: s1 vII or vI if the price is right

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
scareyourpassenger

WTB: s1 vII or vI if the price is right

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Yup, I am here and I don't have one yet. :( I would go the new route but I might not have a place to sleep..
If anyone has a lead on one let me know!

I am willing to loomat a vI if the price is right but I know I will want the board upgrade to add the preinfusion.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by scareyourpassenger on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Re: WTB: s1 vII or vI is the price is right

Post by Endo »

The Vivaldi's usually go for about 70% of the original price. For example, a 2 or 3 year old Mini would go for about $1400, and the plumbed-in would go for about $1500.

A 6 or 7 year old V1 might go for $1200, if it was in good shape. They usually don't go for less than $1000 (unless they are abused commerical units in need of restoration).

Since there are over 3000 units sold, you usually don't have to wait very long to find find one for sale. I usually see one for sale about once a month on either CG, E-bay or here. You just need to be patient and check daily (setup automated e-mail notifications on E-bay for example). It has worked for me.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Though the savings isn't close to a several year old model, Chris Coffee does offer deals on demo and Buyer's Remorse models:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... ldi_buyers
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
scareyourpassenger

Thanks for the info. I found a couple v1s but I think I am going to hold out for a v2.
For a savings of $500 I might just wait it out for a used one . Especially since they usually have some other items I might want link a bottomless portafilter and tamper.
One nice thing about having a 53mm portafilter:)
Endo

Post by Endo »

scareyourpassenger wrote:Thanks for the info. I found a couple v1s but I think I am going to hold out for a v2.

Be careful about the V1 and V2 thing if you buy a machine that sold originally outside the US. Quite a few of the non-US V1s are new.

I have a V1 Mini bought in 2009. The only reason it was designated a V1 was because I bought it in Canada direct from LaSpaziale, rather than in the US through Chris Coffee (whom have exclusive distribution rights in the US and the right to the V2 name, which they helped develop, I assume).

My V1 has all the features of the latest V2 (new circuit board, new side panels, 1 deg C accuracy etc). The only difference is the round single pressure gauge rather than the square double gauge.

To be sure, use the V1/V2, but also check the serial number and date on the badge.
scareyourpassenger

Thanks for the tip! The v1 that I inquired about a v1 for $900 plus shipping. It was made in 2006 and I was told it was only used for 2 years and then sat..
I decided to pass on it hoping to find one that has the new board, dual gauge, preinfusion etc.

I am still upset I missed the last one that sold on CG.
Endo

Post by Endo »

The new board is $350, if I remember correctly. I assume this would give you programmable pre-infusion. (You can add the dual gauge for about $100 if you like, but you can easily add a gauge to the bottom of your PF for about $10, like I did. The brew pressure is really "set and forget", so it doesn't really serve much purpose).

So, if you add the $350 to your $900, you get $1250, which is not bad for a machine used only 2 years at home. After all, you'll never be able to taste any difference between the V1 and V2, and that's really what your paying for.

Still, there are a few other subtle changes that might sway you to go V2 (like easier to detach side panels, quieter fan, new wiring boots, re-sale value, etc).
scareyourpassenger

I have a feeling it was used for 2 years in a commercial environment. I got more photos and it looks like too much of a project.
The only other used option is one that supposedly has never been used but is missing the box for $1500 but a v1 isn't worth that much.

Thanks for the info and help! I wish there was a nice faq covering the conversion from a v1 to a v2. I had a hard time finding a real confirmation that it could be done.
JohnB

Re: WTB: s1 vII or vI if the price is right

Post by JohnB »

Keep in mind that early S1V2 models will not have the latest upgrades unless the owner sent the board to CCS & had it upgraded.
scareyourpassenger

I am opening this up to include the mini v2 as well. After my wife's reaction to the Cimbali grinds size I may be forced to an area of the kitchen without a water supply or place for a flowjet system.
scareyourpassenger

I went ahead and purchased one from Chris coffee. Thanks everyone for helping out:)
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

You can't go wrong with the latest version & a full warranty. I'm sure you will enjoy it. S1 or Mini?
scareyourpassenger

Mini, the wife didn't like the idea of a water line and wanted to make sure there was the flexibility to relocate it to an area that wouldn't have water or space for a flowjet setup.

It was an open box and had the preinfusion setup. I would have liked to try with and without it but my guess is it won't come with the plug for blocking the port off.
Endo

Post by Endo »

scareyourpassenger wrote:It was an open box and had the preinfusion setup. I would have liked to try with and without it but my guess is it won't come with the plug for blocking the port off.
You should ask for this plug. I'm sure they have a bunch lying around gathering dust.

Return to “General Q&A”