Low flow problem solved

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
caf4brains

Low flow problem solved

Post by caf4brains »

Last week I noticed that I wasn't getting as much espresso flow as I usually get. Chalking this up to a change in the grinder, I loosened up the grind a bit and pulled another shot - problem solved. However after a couple of days there was even less flow than before, the pump sounded different and the low flow indicator - three flashing lights - came on. After checking all the usual suspects I was convinced that the pump suction was starved and thought that there must have been something in the pump inlet line. I took the sides and back off to better access the pump. In the process, I pulled the water reservoir out and noticed for the first (!) time that there was a little bit of white film that covered the exit port of the tank. :shock: This looked similar to the adjacent chrome plating and I didn't see it before. A quick brush with a stiff nylon brush and the pump was working as good as usual. Then I got to practice my muttering while putting the panels back in place. :evil:
Endo

Re: Low flow problem solved

Post by Endo »

Luckily, all the cheap chrome plating came off my reservoir inlet after the first time I descaled it. The bit that remained I removed with steel wool.

It's now a light brown rust colour, but I prefer that over the chrome plating bits that jams my machine.
caf4brains

Re: Low flow problem solved

Post by caf4brains »

Earth tones - good; flashy chrome - bad. It's easy to remember.

Return to “Mini General Q&A”