Bunn Brew Grinder

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
JohnB

Bunn Brew Grinder

Post by JohnB »

Here's a pic of the new (to me) Bunn G3 sitting on it's tempory home. Installing a new countertop/sink this week so the Bunn will be working out of the livingroom for a few days. The Vario sure looks tiny in comparison! :shock: The G3 is 27" tall due to the 3lb hopper which I don't really need so I'm looking for a cheap G1 hopper insert so I can trim 4" off of the top. The Bunn is much quieter then the Vario, much/much easier to dial in a specific grind & extremely fast. Not for the counter impaired but the wife & I love it.
Bunn G3.JPG
Bunn G3.JPG (89.4 KiB) Viewed 12223 times
oton

Re: Bunn Brew Grinder

Post by oton »

:shock: Thats a serious grinder. Clearly a grinder for a guy with a Speedster and a Elektra. WTF were you doing with a Vario? :roll:

Tell us a more of how the coffee tastes between the Bunn and the Vario, please.
Last edited by oton on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I wasn't unhappy with the vac pot coffee I brewed from my Vario grounds but I did not like fiddling with the 2 lever adjustment & I have no use for timed dosing. Also I wanted to go from a fine vac pot to a coarse press pot grind with the twist of a dial. The Vario would require recalibrating to give the best of both. I seldom used it for Espresso grinding which really is the Vario's forte so I'm sure it will be better appreciated at it's next home. As for a back to back taste comparison that probably won't happen as I will be cleaning & packing it up later today. I may run some "past their prime" beans through both just to compare the grind if I have time.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The Bunn, now referred to as Bunnzilla, continues to evolve. I modified the grind selector so it is now stepless & replaced the stock Bunn burrs with Ditting 804/Malhkonig machined burrs. Very, very happy with the improvements.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Very cool. Be careful though. Make it too good and you'll be replacing your $7000 Speedster with a $7 Hario V60. :lol:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

H'mm, I don't really think there is much chance of that although I might add one to my ever expanding Hario collection. :lol:
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

Is the Bunn in stock form a worthwhile upgrade over the Vario for regular brewing? I am interested in getting a high-end grinder for pourover and cupping, and the bunn G-series is relatively easy to find within driving distance.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Depends how you feel about the B. Vario I guess. As I'm sure you know I'm no fan of the little Vario & I do like the Bunn. Of course as is the case with most equipment I own it didn't stay stock for long.
Bob_McBob
Macchiato

Post by Bob_McBob »

Well, I already own a Vario, and I don't think it is going to stay in rotation as an espresso grinder if some other doserless options I have on order work out. I've never used it for anything else, but I suppose it would be silly to sell it and buy an enormous Bunn if the quality as a dedicated brewing is comparable. That's why I'm wondering about their relative merits.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I used the Vario primarily for my vac pot brews & some pour over, mostly in the drip & finer range. It did a decent job & I recall thinking that the coffee was better then what I made when I used the Major for V/P grinding. If you bought a used Bunn that had seen duty in a shop you would have to think about new burrs ($200) so you would want to wait for a sweet deal. My current set up with the Ditting/Mahlkonig burrs is much better then either the vario or stock Bunn. About as close to a Tanzania as you are going to get without spending serious money. You could always use the Vario until a used 804 comes up for sale?? Upgrade the stock pressed burrs to the machine burrs & you would be set for life.

Next project, when I get some free time, is to downsize Bunnzilla.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”