mini question on steam boiler

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Lonny

mini question on steam boiler

Post by Lonny »

Hello,

First post. I've been in the market for an espresso machine. I debated back and forth between the izzo duetto II and the mini vivaldi 2. I have to have a pour over is why it came down to these two. I've pretty much settled on the mini. Is there anything I'm missing? I mean I've read pretty much positive things about it. Only thing I've searched several threads and I seem to be getting mixed results, does the mini have a drain on the steam boiler? One thing for sure is I just bought a new grinder. A macap M7D. It's a beautiful matte black, it'll look sweet next to the mini. I'm posting this, just to make sure you folks don't think I'm making a big mistake. If ya'll think this is probably a pretty safe bet in the +/- $2000 range I'll pull the trigger. If I do pull the trigger, I'll order it from Chris's coffee. While I'm ordering, what else should I get from him? All I got right now is a big black grinder.
Attachments
macap3.jpg
macap3.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 6460 times
Endo

Re: mini question on steam boiler

Post by Endo »

Nice grinder! Good start. :salute:

You won't find many folks knocking the Vivaldi here....so I guess your mind is already made up. :lol:

Both the Alex and Vivaldi are excellent machines. You can't go wrong with either. Often it just boils down to esthetics (all chrome versus, plastic sidepanels). Your black grinder would match the Vivaldi nicely.

The Mini DOES now come with as drain on the boiler. Only changes from the original Mini are the smaller grey S1 font on the front and the lack of rubber on the PF handle. (Minor stuff).
Lonny

better picture

Post by Lonny »

Let's see if this scan comes out better
rsz_61macap122.jpg
rsz_61macap122.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 6436 times

what else should I get from Chris Coffee when I order the mini?

# OPTIONAL Pre Infusion Chamber
# OPTIONAL No Burn Steam Arm
# OPTIONAL longer La Spaziale steam arm

here's my list....

New Mini Vivaldi II by La Spaziale
Tubbi Knockbox
Cafelat Tamping Stand (wouldn't mind this, but out of stock)
Espro 53 mm Automatic Tamper
Bottomless Portafilt: La Spaziale

Am I forgetting something?
oton

Post by oton »

I don't know if Chris includes them with the machine, but triple baskets are a must if you wanna enjoy properly the "new" generation of coffees.

I have the preinfusion chamber. I never pulled shots without it, so I don't know the difference.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You need a bottomless PF to be able to use the triple basket. I think the current CC deal is to include the triple basket when you buy a bottomless PF.

As to the steam vs no burn arms, I have tried the no burn on the VII and also the one that comes on the GS/3. I ended up removing them from both machines for the same reason. The way they work is to have a teflon tube inside the steam arm so that the steam never touches the metal. This creates a significant restriction that reduces the machine's steam power. However, if you still want to go with it, the std tip that comes on the no-burn arm is not that great. You actually can put the nice, stock four hole one on which greatly improves the steam. Unfortunately, that tip doesn't have the internal insulation of the stock tip so you lose the no burn feature since the tip gets very hot and conducts that heat up the steam wand. Chris told me last month that he now has an insulated 4 hole replacement tip. If you decide to go with the no-burn arm, ask about this tip.
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... ourholetip

If you do decide to go with the full burn arm (never burned myself on one yet!), do get the longer arm. It is only 1 - 1 1/4" longer but that is enough difference to be able to get the tip all the way to the bottom of a std 20oz pitcher. To me it is worth it. I am sure if you order it with the VII they will install it for you as part of the deal. Ditto for the no burn arm.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

Actually, I bought Chas's no-burn wand. It's crap. :-(

Like I mentioned before, it's good to buy an extra discpersion disk so you can swap it out with the extra set of screens they give you.

Return to “General Q&A”