Timer / Switched outlet operation - possible???

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
JonW

Timer / Switched outlet operation - possible???

Post by JonW »

I've seen multiple posts here and on other message forums stating that the S1 cannot be run on a switched outlet or timer. Can someone tell me why this is? Is it because the electronics require manual intervention to press a switch on the front panel to get it to power up (when power is restored at the outlet)?

Has anyone directly hardwired into the microswitches to control it that way? Any idea what the communication protocol is between the switches and the control board?

I'm currently a prospective S1 buyer and really need to make this unit come on at a set time in the morning. I have no problems opening the unit up and making ANY electronic modification to accomplish this - I'm just wondering if anyone else has already tackled this.

Thanks,
JonW
TruthBrew

Post by TruthBrew »

You are correct, you cannot use a timer because you have to press the soft "POWER ON" button on the front to get the electronics to fire up the unit.

I have not heard of anyone wiring around that yet.

Two thoughts...

1) The unit warms up quite quicky, you can be pulling shots in as little as 20 min from time of turn on. Obviously a longer warm up is a bit better, but you can get by.

2) On mornings I know I have to be out the door quickly, I simply turn the unit on before I go to sleep. After looking at Chas' power consumption table, it will only cost a couple cents to power it for the ~8 hrs.
JonW

New S1 on the way - and so are the mods!

Post by JonW »

I ordered my S1 Saturday and can't wait to get it.

However, as I do with most everything I buy, I will be taking it apart soon after I receive it. I don't want to leave it on 24hrs a day and since the S1 is not timer friendly, I'm going to have to make it that way! I do a lot of electronics mods and I'm going to see what I can do to create my own external timer to activate the boilers (and maybe a grind timer as well). Since the switches and display are external from the microprocessor board, I'm thinking it should be pretty easy.

I'll probably use the machine for a while unmodified, but I'll report back on my progress once I start to tinker. If it's an easy mod, I'll do up some schematics for others to use.

- Jon
zak42

Post by zak42 »

I looked into doing this, the board that hosts the buttons & LEDs doesn't appear to have any smarts on it, there's a 16 or 20 way ribbon cable from the controller board to the front panel, and putting a relay or switch across the relevant 2 pins i think will do the trick. The main issue for me (other than getting to the front board, which is something of a pain as you have to remove the stream wand and knob from the front panel first). Is where to hook into those 2 wires, If you're good with a soldering iron you might be able to get at them from the back of the ribbon socket that's mounted to the board. Otherwise you'll probably end up tee'ing onto the ribbon itself, in the end i decided it was a lot of work and risk for a little (for me) gain, and didn't do it.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”