Almost like cheating?

Post general questions about operation of your new Mini here. Due to many similarities with the original VII you should also check the VII forum.
opensecret

Almost like cheating?

Post by opensecret »

Now that I’ve had my Mini for almost two months, and have worked on improving my technique with an extended run using only one bean (Intelligentsia Black Cat), I sometimes wonder if this machine makes it almost too easy to produce great espresso. (I’ve seen occasional posts from folks who say Black Cat ain’t what it used to be, but it’s working for me.) I’ve got my grinder dialed in close enough so that it takes only minor tweaks from time to time, more for play than for any defect in the espresso. The pour looks good in the naked portafilter, even though my tamp technique isn’t perfect – my attempt to get optimal nutation tends to produce higher depth at the front than the back of the portafilter. Regardless, hit the button and it’s almost all crema during the pour. No two shots are quite the same – some take a longer or shorter pour, and some are a little darker or blonder. But they’re all so good that it almost feels like cheating.

Am I making things too easy for myself? Or should I stop whining and enjoy the coffee?
oton

Re: Almost like cheating?

Post by oton »

LOL. What's the point? You'd like to get more troubles? :blackeye: Get 4 or 5 different blends as I have and try to pour them. For each blend you'll have to adjust grind, temp, extraction time. I'm going nuts. I take the decision to stick to 1 blend -no more- for a long time or at least until I master the brew for that blend. I just want to make an espresso and enjoy it.
Endo

Re: Almost like cheating?

Post by Endo »

As you say, I also get very consistant shots from day to day with the same blend. I believe this has a lot to do with the good temperature control.

On the other hand, I get less consistancy from week to week. This happens when I switch beans or if the beans lose the slightest freshness. Also, the machine is as sensitive (or even more so) to changes in dosing, distibution and tamping as any other. I really notice this in pour times. If you rely on the volumetric dosing, you may not notice this as much.

In general, the espresso taste has been very good, although I find the consistancy also means you get less "surprise" flavors and range that can occur on machines with variable temperatures or humped profiles. That said, I'll take consistancy over luck any day.

Now with the steaming (half the double boiler experience)....there is no cheating at all. I have to earn every good microfoam I make. :evil:

Return to “Mini General Q&A”