Tall Puck Effects

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Endo

Tall Puck Effects

Post by Endo »

It's been a few months I've had the Vivaldi now. I'm past the new machine "learning stage" and now that I've more or less settled on a technique that works well.

Still, one thing I've noticed is that the Vivaldi brew flow rate seems a lot more sensitive to any changes inside the basket: dosing, grinding, tamping, bean type and freshness.

First of all, does anyone else agree with this or am I the only one?

Second, what do you think is the reason for this? I suspect it's caused by the taller puck. Any other theories?
oton

Re: Tall Puck Effects

Post by oton »

I can not compare with other machine because Vivaldi it's my first real machine.

Well, I can do a comparation with my Nespresso and it's fancy capsules. :-P Yes, Nespresso is 1000% more forgiving. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PBL
Espresso

Post by PBL »

I also noticed that the Vivaldi was less forgiving than other machines when I bought the machine almost fifteen months ago. But I don't think it is the tall pucks, as I would suspect that a tall puck should have the opposite effect due to the greater depth of coffee. I think it is mostly due to the strength of the pump, precise temperature etc. I believe that is why with the preinfusion and the puck getting wet it is more foregiving. The high quality pump and consistent temperature lets you make a higher qualtiy espresso but you have to work your technique. PS the less expensive machines compensate by using pressurized portafilters to almost always give you crema but the shot itself is no where near as good. :smile:
Endo

Post by Endo »

PBL wrote:I also noticed that the Vivaldi was less forgiving than other machines when I bought the machine almost fifteen months ago. But I don't think it is the tall pucks, as I would suspect that a tall puck should have the opposite effect due to the greater depth of coffee. I think it is mostly due to the strength of the pump, precise temperature etc. I believe that is why with the preinfusion and the puck getting wet it is more foregiving. The high quality pump and consistent temperature lets you make a higher qualtiy espresso but you have to work your technique. PS the less expensive machines compensate by using pressurized portafilters to almost always give you crema but the shot itself is no where near as good. :smile:
I don't think it's the pump to be honest. I have the vibe pump Mini-Vivaldi and it seems sensitive too.

I still think it has something to do with basket geometry, but I'm starting to wonder if the water dispersion has something to do with it as well.

One thing for sure, this machine REALLY punishes you when your coffee is more than 2 or 3 weeks old.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote: One thing for sure, this machine REALLY punishes you when your coffee is more than 2 or 3 weeks old.
As well it should! :twisted:

Return to “General Q&A”