Intermediate Steam Tip

Tips and Tricks you have discovered with your S1, VII, Mini-VII, Dream, or Dream T that lets you do any aspect of coffee making, steaming, maintenance, etc better.
JohnB

Intermediate Steam Tip

Post by JohnB »

Has anyone tried modifying the .9mm steam tip to give something between it & the 1.3mm tip? I ordered a couple different size drill bits; .94mm & .97mm, which should be here mid week. Since I have an extra .9mm tip I want to see if something in between would work better when going back & forth between small & large milk drinks. It may be a waste of time but the bits are cheap so we'll see what comes of it.
zoey

Re: Intermediate Steam Tip

Post by zoey »

I haven't, but I've got a word of caution for you. I've drilled hundreds of small holes in nuts/bolts for the race bike (safety wiring). You've got to really take your time and be careful because you will break the bits. Removing broken bits out of the part can be daunting, especially when they bind up. I would have a few extra bits on hand.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'm familiar with the dreaded "broken drill bit" having restored many old sports cars & motorcycles over the years. These bits are so tiny you only use them in a Dremel so I'm sure they break easy. I got a pack of 10 of each size so I should be set. The nice thing is I'm only going VERY slightly oversize so there will be little material to remove.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice!
I can't wait to see the results!! :bounce:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I don't think you have to worry about breaking a bit drilling out the steam tips. I enlarged the holes in a 2-hole tip a couple of years back. It's like slicing through butter. The tips are just chrome plated soft brass. You can almost twist the bit my hand!
Last edited by chas on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I believe that the standard VII tip that my machine has is stainless steel. I have no idea about the smaller hole tip.
Mark
Last edited by MDL on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I got the bits in today but it was a waste of time as the .9mm tip is actually a 1mm tip or damn close. The .97mm bit is still loose in the ".9mm" holes so I'm going to try & measure the holes in the 1.3mm tip next.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Took some measurements using welding nozzle cleaning tips & a micrometer. The ".9mm" tip is slightly over 1mm & the 1.3mm is actually slightly over 1.5mm. Looks like a #55 bit (.051/1.29mm) would put me half way between the two & there's a store in town that should have it. More later.
Niko

Post by Niko »

:grin:
I'm watching.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The deed is done! I now have 1mm(F.9mm), 1.29mm & 1.5mm(F1.3mm) tips. I'll be playing with the intermediate tip for awhile & I'll let you know what I think. Right now my steaming is so rusty after many months of no milk drinks that its hard to tell.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice!!!
The intermediate tip sounds awesome.
It would be great to have 3 various powers of steam tips available. ;-)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Next we need to find somebody to create a steam tip with an end you can twist for various powers. Maybe 2 hole, 3 hole, small 4 hole, and large four hole. I don't ask for much!
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Funny you mention that.
I had an idea a while back about a steam that varies the sizes of the holes by turning a dial (kind of like a lens aperture) to control steaming power :lol:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

We could patent it except for the fact that we might actually have to try to build a prototype!
Chas
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Back to the real world for a moment: The new tip is working out very well in the 12oz pitcher for Cappo size portions, no milk on the ceiling as with the 1.3(1.5) tip. :lol: but plenty of power for latte portions in the 20 oz pitcher so for now I'm leaving it on & retiring the other two.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Definitely keep us updated, John :thumbright:
This sounds really nice!

Return to “Tips & Tricks”