OFF+X Curiosity Is Resolved

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

OFF+X Curiosity Is Resolved

Post by chas »

I noted in the GUI User's Manual that whenever I turned my machine ON manually after the daily auto-shut off, where I was using one cycle of On = 7AM, Off 8:30PM, I got "OFF+1" as displayed in the image below. I was sure that the number after Off had something to do with the auto on/off cycles but I wasn't sure what. Note that when the display just shows "Off" this is the same as "Off+0".
Off+1.jpg
Off+1.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 6525 times
I have been wanting to run some experiments to see if I could figure this out and finally did over the last three days. At first I was confused and then I had an "aha" moment. Here's what I did and what was displayed in each case.
1) Deleted all auto On/Off cycles.
2) Programmed one On/Off cycle on Wednesday. When I manually turned the machine ON after the auto-off cycle I got my familiar "Off+1" display.
3) Programmed two On/Off cycles on Thursday. When I manually turned the machine On between the first auto-off and the 2nd auto-on cycle I just got "Off". Turning the machine on after the 2nd auto-off cycle displayed Off+1.
4) Programmed three On/Off cycles on Friday. When I manually turned the machine On between the first auto-off and the 2nd auto-on cycle I just got "Off". Ditto between the 2nd auto-off and the 3rd auto-on. HOWEVER, turning the machine on after the 3rd auto-off cycle displayed Off+5!
Guess what? After this final auto-off the next machine Auto-On cycle is next Wednesday. That's 5 days. So the number after Off is the number of days before the next Auto-On cycle. If there is still an additional auto-on cycle in the current day only "Off" is displayed; i.e. 0 days until the next cycle.

If I am correct when I manually turn on the Dream tomorrow morning it should read Off+4, then Off+3 on Sunday, etc. I'll let you know if this is what I see.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: OFF+X Curiosity Is Resolved

Post by chas »

As expected this morning (Saturday), when I turn the machine On manually, since the next programmed on time is Wednesday at 8:30 AM, the display shows Off+4 with 8:30AM right below it; i.e. the machine will turn automatically turn on in four days at 8:30AM.

However, to be able to interpret this Programmable On/Off status area of the display you have to know whether the machine is currently On because it's in a programmed ON time or whether you turned it on manually during a programmed Off time.

1) Machine is in a programmable On time
The number following Off is the number of days until the next programmable OFF time. If it just shows Off with no number following it, the next Off time shown below it is today.

2) Machine is in a programmable Off time but was manually turned on
The number following Off is the number of days until the next programmed On time, If it just shows Off with no number following it, the next programmed ON time shown below is today.

If the programmable time function is disabled then the lower left corner of the display always shows the current time when the machine is on. Otherwise, when the programmable timer is enabled, the the lower left corner of the display alternates between the current time and the programmable on/off status.

NOTE: It is possible to delete all the programmable On/Off times for every day of the week but leave the timer itself enabled. When I tried that just now the Programmable On/Off status is still displayed and it shows the next programmable Off time as the next time I had programmed for my latest test but have now deleted. So I am not quite sure whether it is going to show an erroneous display forever or clear out the error when 11AM rolls around. I think the optimal thing for the SW to do if you clear all the On/Off times is to automatically disable the timer, but it currently doesn't. I would recommend if you decide at some point after using the timer that you don't want to use it ever or for some period of time, just flip the SW setup switch from enable to disable rather than deleting the times...or do both.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: OFF+X Curiosity Is Resolved

Post by chas »

I've updated the Dream GUI Manual with this new information. I have also forwarded a copy to CCS and I'm sure they will eventually update the version on their website. For now here is the latest version containing the update.

s1dream/docs/S1%20Dream%20Graphical%20U ... erface.pdf
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”