how do you use the 4 custom profiles on your Dream

Forums below are for discussions of Dream and Dream T specific issues. However, both machines have as much, if not more, in common than they have differences. This area is for information sharing and questions that you think apply equally to both machines.
daveR1
Americano

how do you use the 4 custom profiles on your Dream

Post by daveR1 »

I posted this over on HB, sorry about the duplication, but I didnt get any response there.

For the past year, I've had an ECM Classika PID & Baratza Sette 270W while learning to make espresso. I got crazy and ordered a La Spaziale Dream T which arrived this week. The ability to save different user settings appeals to me since I switch between different coffees frequently that may have different brew temps & output volumes.

My question to you other Dream owners is how you've set up the user settings. Since the Dream can save 4 different user profiles which can have different temps, output volumes - both single/double buttons, you've got a lot of flexibility to work with. I'm curious to hear how you all have made use of this. Also, seeing as how this machine will be quite different from my Classika, any other tips would be appreciated.

One other question -this thing generates much better steam than my Classika. I’m having to make some big adjustments to how I froth milk since its much more powerful and I tend to make small milk drinks. I’m curious what steam boiler temperature you set your machines to.

Thx,
Dave
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: how do you use the 4 custom profiles on your Dream

Post by chas »

I too thought the idea of having four profiles on the Dream was great, before I owned one. Now that I have a Dream I find that I only use one profile. Hopefully another Dream user has a better answer for you.

The problem is that I never seem to buy the same coffee twice and, since I roast my own beans, that throws in another variable or set of variables. I find that I need to individually dial in each batch. So having different profiles that need to be tweaked each time is more of a hassle for me than just fine tuning a single profile.

I also experimented with the steam pressure when I first got my Dream. I was amazed to find that my personal sweet spot was essentially the same as the standard setting of an S1 or about 1.2 - 1.3 bar.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
daveR1
Americano

Post by daveR1 »

I get what you're saying Chas. I dont roast, but I enjoy trying new coffees to supplement a couple of styles that I drink frequently. For now I programmed 3 different profiles which vary in brew temp (197-201 F) & volume (1.5 in/out - 2.0 ratios) which correspond to my experience with a variety of coffees I like.

Now i’m trying to figure out how scale down my recipes from using an 18 gr VST 58 mm basket in an E61 machine to the 53mm IMS precision 12/18 dbl basket in the Dream.
Atomic
Americano

Post by Atomic »

I've never use the shot volume as I always weigh the output. Finally ungraded to a Lunar and love the response time and auto timer (simple to see the infusion time vs pull time now)... sure people complain about the cost but it's a sweet device.

I use to dose 18g and now settled on 16g with an IMS basket. I really recommend getting a precision basket as I find the coverage is more even.

Temperatures are set 93,94,95,96 oC all with steam at 122oC. No temp offset. Easy to switch temps by selecting the down button and profiles are named by the temp #

I rarely steam more than 5-6oz at a time and will drop to about 3oz for cortados. I've plugged one of the holes with a tooth pick and seems to help a bit but it can be hard to get consistent micro foam on that small a volume I find. The boiler on the T is small so I find the steam temp drops fast hence why I set it at 122oC.

Return to “Dream and Dream T Common Feature Discussions”