Leakage from back underside of machine when backflushing

Did you have an issue or question about operation of your plumbed Dream machine on Day One right out of the box? If so, report it here and also keep us abreast of the resolution.
goodboyr
Barista

Leakage from back underside of machine when backflushing

Post by goodboyr »

This is week one with the Dream. Time to backflush with the rubber disc. When I do that I get some water leakage at the end of the "shot" under the machine towards the back. Any ideas on what is leaking?
Last edited by goodboyr on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
goodboyr
Barista

Re: Leakage from back underside of machine when backflushing

Post by goodboyr »

Solved. Line was disconnected from brass discharge fitting of 3 way. The disconnected line was tucked in the back of the machine. Took some work to reconnect, but all good now. Wow! I guess they are in a bit of a hurry putting these things together. I did notice that there is a metal screen inside the back of that discharge fitting and it had some black coffee tar in the screen. So it must have been connected at one time. Strange.

Bob
eph85

Post by eph85 »

hi! i have had the same problem with leakage. i am reluctant to remove the cover on the machine. i've been dealing with CCS and they helped with a different pressure issue...

no water is dumping into the drip pan when i backflush and i have a feeling that's not normal. pressure guage looks ok, but when i disconnect the PF i get splattered and that doesn't seem correct..

any thoughts?

chris
etout00

Post by etout00 »

eph85 wrote:hi! i have had the same problem with leakage. i am reluctant to remove the cover on the machine. i've been dealing with CCS and they helped with a different pressure issue...

no water is dumping into the drip pan when i backflush and i have a feeling that's not normal. pressure guage looks ok, but when i disconnect the PF i get splattered and that doesn't seem correct..

any thoughts?

chris

I was having the same issue. The problem was with a small metal screen that CCS installed in the brass discharge tube assembly as posted in a couple threads up. My metal screen was junked up with some coffee tar and fine grounds. The screen was installed by CCS as an attempt to help with the splashing as the water exited the discharge tube, it was fine for a week or so but then became clogged. I removed screen and problem was solved immediately. Also I really didn't have an issue with water spraying out of discharge tube to begin with, so removing the metal screen didnt seem to even help with the slashing to begin with.

The issue is that the metal screen is too large to fit in the end of the brass discharge tube to begin with, it looks like it was forced in there and also probably the cause of it getting clogged after a few uses. CCS needs to use a smaller diameter screen and one which will not clog as quickly OR do away with the screen all together as removing mine did not cause water to start splashing out.

This is the screen CCS is using as far as I can tell:

http://www.espressoparts.com/C_188
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Yup. Mine is starting to clog as well, so I removed it. Not a great idea by CCS. It will clog very quickly. They need to think of another method to disperse the flow.
Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Interesting. I guess they've completely redesigned the 3-way from earlier S1's. It's almost time to pull the covers off and see what else has changed.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CoffeeHound

Post by CoffeeHound »

Thanks for the information! I'm coming from an E61 HX machine and didn't know what I was looking at.

Just expanding on a couple of points for us noobs: The screen is in the barbed hose inlet facing the back of the machine, I used an icepick to drag mine out. The easy way to access the discharge outlet is to unscrew the entire chrome mounting plate from the frame--one screw on the right.

As an added benefit my pucks are no longer soupy, something I realize may not have a detrimental effect but didn't care for. I had read that I would have to live with on this and earlier versions of the machine--not so.

Return to “Dream Day One Issues”