Advice on new S1 Purchase

General questions, comments, and discussions about the Plumbed Dream machine. New owners post your impressions of your Dream - likes, dislikes, and any other comments.
Hguz

Advice on new S1 Purchase

Post by Hguz »

Hello,

I do not yet own a La Spaziale but have been lurking on this forum for a while. I would like to get a feedback on the S1 plumbed-in units. This is for home use.

I am about to purchase a new DB machine after spending 13 years with an Isomac Millenium heat exchanger unit. I have had to replace some components on the Isomac over the years but it is still working well. I am moving to a DB machine primarily to avoid temp surfing but generally my upgrade is also to get PID control and better steaming capability for my lattes. My attention span is now shorter now that I have young kids (I need to be more efficient) and the temp surfing never really caught on with my wife.

The S1 La Spaziale machines look great from an ease of use stand point. PID units, good temp control, pre-infusion, volumetric shots, fast steaming for Lattes . . . and the price is in line with other DB units. I am going for the plumbed-in units only and I am currently wired for 20AMPs. I am considering the Vivaldi II/Lucca A53 or Dream. I appreciate some features on the Dream including on/off timer & touchscreen adjustments but I do not fully grasp all the differences between it and the Vivaldi II. I am also concerned based on the S1Cafe forum discussions about whether the Dream is as robust as the Vivaldi II and the usability (or frustrations) with the touchscreen GUI.

Can users comment on the robustness of the Dream? For example, would you buy again or would you stick with the Vivaldi II? Also, is there is list of differences between the Vivalid II and the Dream posted in a single place? Any regrets?

I intend to keep this machine for the next decade, at least. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

-hector
jfrescki
God Shot

Re: Advice on new S1 Purchase

Post by jfrescki »

Just want to point out (in case it matters to you) that unless they changed it recently, the Vivaldi does not use a PID to control temperature, but a La Spaziale built control. It works great, but it is not technically a PID. The Dreams do use a PID.
John

Mini Vivaldi, EPC-8, SJ, Steel Burr Vario
Behmor, Modded Poppery
Coffee Stuff
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Dream has membrane buttons, not a touchscreen.
Although initially had teething pains, the newer versions of the dream have addressed all issues except the occasionally brew boiler temp sensor failures. I've sent some of my failed sensors to CCS and they said LA spaz in Italy is looking at them, so I'm hoping they will address this as well. Other than that, its a great machine. Very consistent, lots of steam. I like the looks and lower profile.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

I have an original S1 for 11 years ago, and still going strong. I have looked at the new Dream and it looks nice. Not sure I need all the digital stuff to make coffee. Set the temp and pressure and the rest is up to the barista. Here is what I have been looking at when and if my S1 stops working.
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Vetrano-2B- ... -a-evo.htm
BTW Chis Coffee has a Buyers Remorse on a plumed Dream for $500 off.
https://www.chriscoffee.com/S1-Dream-Bu ... -dream.htm
Hguz

Post by Hguz »

Thanks to all for the feedback. This has been very helpful.

Return to “Dream General Q&A”