Info From Chris

This forum is to share pre-launch information about the next generation LaSpaziale S1 which will be sold under the name "S1 Dream" for the plumbed version and S1 Dream T for the tank version.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Info From Chris

Post by chas »

Chris gave me a heads up on this machine at least six months back and asked me to keep it quiet. However, that restriction has been lifted so here's what else I know.

1) Latest from Chris:
The pump pressure is displayed digitally. Some of the software is not finished. That what is so nice though. There is a USB card reader. They are building the machines while at the same time finish up on the software. They can ship the machines to me and email me the software when we bench test we upload the latest version. It is PID controlled in F. Built in clock. The steam knob is not the production one nor is the boiler pressure gauge.

2) Specs I was provided earlier this year much of which is obvious from the Facebook photos:
• Front panel is all glass and is touch activated.
• It will have two volumetric buttons and one continuous
• It will be PID controlled in F to one decimal place like a GS3
• Error codes will be displayed in words; i.e. flow meter error
• Changing preinfusion time and offset will all be done by touch up and down controls
• Built in shot timer
• Built in clock and time to turn machine off and on
• Side panels will come from same mold but will be finished to be high gloss jet black plus a TBD shade of red.
• Going through menu will be like an iPod scroll through by rolling your finger
• USB card reader for easy software updates
• LED lights on the underside to light up where the coffee brews

There has been no discussion of availability or pricing yet, not with me anyhow.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Endo

Re: Info From Chris

Post by Endo »

Sounds great. Anybody wanna buy a used Mini? :-(

Seriously though, it is the same where it matters (in the cup), so there is no need to sell. Still those are some nice bells and whistles they added.
GooseVR1

Post by GooseVR1 »

What's in the cup is what matters. That said, I'm glad I checked here again before committing. Was going to order a Vivaldi (upgrading from a super auto) and I think I need to at least see how the Dream prices out.

If there's a significant cost between the two, it might not be worth it for me, as I tend to dial in a favorite blend and then drink it until I get sick of it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

GooseVR1 wrote:What's in the cup is what matters. That said, I'm glad I checked here again before committing. Was going to order a Vivaldi (upgrading from a super auto) and I think I need to at least see how the Dream prices out.

If there's a significant cost between the two, it might not be worth it for me, as I tend to dial in a favorite blend and then drink it until I get sick of it.
For budgetary purposes assume $400-$500 higher than current V2 prices for both reg and mini.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

Just curious. will the dream be similar, the same or improved on things like:

Grouphead and portafilter (ie greater than 53)?
different design for baskets?
temp stability like grouphead PID?
or other design elements that have a direct impact to results in the cup?

I just ordered a mini vivaldy. I would have waited for the dream except that after my BDB experience, I am very weary of new products with computer controls. However, I am curious of whether I am missing out on some positive fundamental differences as well.

Cheers,

John
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Johnlyn wrote:Just curious. will the dream be similar, the same or improved on things like:

Grouphead and portafilter (ie greater than 53)?
different design for baskets?
temp stability like grouphead PID?
or other design elements that have a direct impact to results in the cup?

I just ordered a mini vivaldy. I would have waited for the dream except that after my BDB experience, I am very weary of new products with computer controls. However, I am curious of whether I am missing out on some positive fundamental differences as well.

Cheers,

John
Most of these questions have been answered in this post: S1 Dream Key Features.

To summarize, the boilers, group, and 53mm baskets are unchanged. There are dual PIDS, one for each boiler. The PIDs are probably the only new feature that might give you a difference in the cup. Otherwise, it's mostly a better User Interface plus integration of the On/Off Timer and shot timer and the ability to create, save, and recall up to four profiles.

The ability for the user to download and program code updates is a key benefit. Not only can code fixes be uploaded easily but LaSpaziale can also add new features this way within the scope of the current hardware to support them. While the current generation of V2s has been software updated once to add preinfusion and better temperature control, this required the user to remove the control board and send it back to Chris Coffee for reprogramming. I think you can safely bet that won't happen again to the V2s as all new development will be toward the Dream Machines.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

Thanks for that. I was suspecting that the hardware functioning would be mostly the same with the exception of 1F adjustability rather than 1C to dial things closer in to what is desired.

It sounds like I have just purchased an outdated machine already :shock: , however, one that works extremely well :mrgreen: . I hadn't thought about all the focus then going to the Dream and no longer considering updates to the Mini V. However, I was already an early adopter of the BDB, that didn't work out even though it is a fabulouse machine, and I no longer wish to be an early adopter. With LaSapziale's reputation though I expect that the Dream will be a huge success and that I will be quite enviouse in the next couple of years.

with the same innerfunction, vs software function, could I assume that any hardware upgrades could be compatible between both the MiniV and the Dream?

I am looking forward to seeing the eveolution of the Dream....
Johnlyn

Post by Johnlyn »

So how does the PID work? is it similar to the V2 whereby the PID temperature reading from the Boiler is offset to the grouphead and thus the display gives you the offset grouphead temperature?

Return to “S1 Dream & S1 Dream T Pre-launch Discussions”