No water from mini vivaldi water dispenser

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
docnlaw
Freeze Dried

No water from mini vivaldi water dispenser

Post by docnlaw »

Usually pull only espresso from my mini vivaldi, tried steaming milk and it would build pressure and then shut off after one minute. Boiler light would blink and then I restarted boiler and it would run for another minute and shut off. Went through this a few times until steam pressure was built up. Tried dispensing water from water dispenser and only steam came out. Pulling shots from group head without any issues. Please help diagnose my problem. Possible build up from not using this feature of my machine for too long? Thanks in advance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1dCYPQSZBPTXnhYEA
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: No water from mini vivaldi water dispenser

Post by chas »

During this one minute period before the machine shuts off. Is the pump running?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
docnlaw
Freeze Dried

Post by docnlaw »

Yes. Pump runs and continues to build steam if I restart boiler. Noticed also that no water is delivered from water spicket (steam comes out). I typically use machine only for espresso shots and do not use steaming boiler or water dispenser. Recently tried steaming and that is when I noticed the change. When I first got machine it functioned appropriately. Guessing there are deposits blocking water flow. How do I diagnose and repair? Manual or video that explains what I should be looking for and how to fix. Thanks in advance.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

After the pump starts to refill the boiler a 60 second timer starts. If the machine does not get a boiler full signal from the water level probe before that times out, the machine will shut off.

So you definitely have a low boiler water level due to an obstruction in the water line, as you suspect. Over the years, LaSpaziale has done some redesign in this water line so your situation may differ slightly from what I will describe. I don't have a written, audio, or video of this process. However, it starts with the water lines into, through, or exiting from the solenoid that controls water flow into the boiler.

The photo below shows the location of the solenoid in a plumbed V2. Since you have a mini your location may vary.
Boiler Refill.png
Boiler Refill.png (814.03 KiB) Viewed 7341 times
This happens to me in my original S1. You can see the nut pointed at by the yellow arrow in the photo. This is the gicleur valve that reduces the pressure and flow rate into the boiler. Since this slows and constricts the flow, it is a major area where minerals can build up. I removed the gicleur by loosening the nut (not the screw in the middle of the nut). When I removed it, it was covered with minerals. Cleaned that off fixed it for me.

Others have found their obstruction in one of two other locations.
1) Newer machines have a filter screen at the input (not shown in the photo) where the water enters the solenoid valve.
2) Also mineral deposits sometime block the line right where it attaches to the boiler.
Chas
Hottop P/B
docnlaw
Freeze Dried

Post by docnlaw »

Thanks for the info. I will check tonight. My machine is from 2010. Do you have a schematic that shows all of the internal workings of the mini?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

This document is the best thing I have but the diagrams are probably at a much higher level than what you're looking for. Perhaps an actual Mini owner will chime it and upload some labelled photos.

V2 Mini Manual
Chas
Hottop P/B
docnlaw
Freeze Dried

Post by docnlaw »

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”