Fuse stuck in machine

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
archiballz
Latte

Fuse stuck in machine

Post by archiballz »

My Mini is not coming on right now and no lights are blinking so I'm assuming the fuse is the culprit. However it possible to remove it from inside the machine?

IMG_20190306_114836.jpg
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Fuse stuck in machine

Post by chas »

Is it actually stuck or is the problem just that you have no way to grab it?

Have you tried grabbing the end of it with a small pair of needle nosed pliers?

At any rate it does look like there is a problem with this fuse holder or else LaSpaziale has used a very cheap one. Usually those kind of fuse holders have a small spring inside that pushes the fuse up when you remove the cap.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Certainly in my experience with the Dream, it's the latter. Very cheap fuse holders and connections. I bought much better fuse holders at a local electronics store that were full rated for the 20 amps and replaced mine

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
archiballz
Latte

Post by archiballz »

chas wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 am Is it actually stuck or is the problem just that you have no way to grab it?

Have you tried grabbing the end of it with a small pair of needle nosed pliers?

At any rate it does look like there is a problem with this fuse holder or else LaSpaziale has used a very cheap one. Usually those kind of fuse holders have a small spring inside that pushes the fuse up when you remove the cap.
It was actually stuck but I did get it out with pliers just now. The fuse had spots of rust on it. I replaced the fuse but it seems the new fuse (20A, 250V) is a bit too small to fit in the holder. Apart from the fuse, are there any other reasons why the machine would have no power?
Frisco
Freeze Dried

Post by Frisco »

The contact tab on the back of the fuse holder can crack and come off. You won’t see something like that unless you pop off the panel. I replaced mine with a push button reset breaker.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That's a great idea. Do you have manufacturer / part number / supplier for the part you used?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Cool idea, only one comment. If the connections and holder are of a good quality, there really is no reason why the fuse would blow. So at the end of the day, if you replace the holder and make sure all connections at the tab and beyond are good, then you won't have any issues. On the other hand, if the purpose of the breaker is to make it convenient to reset if it blows, then you are working around whatever is the root cause of the overcurrent. I found that the fuse holder and connections suck. Redoing them is the answer.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
Frisco
Freeze Dried

Post by Frisco »

Mine was basically broken right when I got the machine and didn’t show any signs of excess current. It looked like the assembler either manhandled the electrical connection and broke it by accident or the fuse holder was just a poorly made. Switching to a push button seemed like a better long term solution, and I think I got it from Digikey.
shinto
Latte

Post by shinto »

i had the same issue with my 9 year old s1v2, i tried to bypass the fuse with a cable and the fuse holder was burned as well,i just ordered a new holder and fuse..
Shinto
La Spaziale S1 V1 with man preinfusion
Mazzer Mini manual
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Old post but the fuse holder on the V2s are junk. Mine just melted and fell apart. I wired in an automotive fuse holder with 2 wires and it holds an automotive fuse. Hangs under the machine i can easily pull it out and change the fuse when it does blow which it will.
DinoCoffeno
Freeze Dried

Post by DinoCoffeno »

I had the same problem. It appears that on the spring end of the fuse holder slightly melted and caused the fuse to stick inside and not make contact so I just replaced the fuse holder

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”