Corroded Steam Boiler/Connectors

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
JerDGold
Latte

Corroded Steam Boiler/Connectors

Post by JerDGold »

I have a Mini Vivaldi with a very corroded steam boiler and electronic connectors. Picture below.
m7JHV8a.jpg
m7JHV8a.jpg (120.51 KiB) Viewed 8311 times
I need help identifying what these connectors actually are so that I can buy replacements. I may also need to buy a replacement air-release valve as mine seems to be leaking water as the steam boiler heats. Any suggestions?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Corroded Steam Boiler/Connectors

Post by chas »

I can't tell from this photo if anything is actually corroded but it looks like you're trying to set a record for the dirtiest Mini boiler. :grin:

Is the water leak you mentioned coming from the part in the lower left that is inset in the metal cup. If so, it is the Vacuum Breaker valve. It opens when the boiler cools down to prevent a vacuum in the boiler. Then when the water starts to boil as it heats up, the steam pressure forces it closed. It is normal for there to be a several second period where water and steam spit and sputter out of this valve. Then it should seat completed and stop.

If yours continues to leak and/or hiss, you can remove it, soak it in white vinegar for a couple of hours, then rinse and replace. If that doesn't fix it you may need a new one.

For your steam boiler electrical connections, search for right angle insulated crimp connections - either 1/4 or 6.3mm 10-12 gauge. For some reason the right angle ones in this size are grossly over priced. Here is the cheapest place I found: https://www.rvautoparts.com/84172-Dorma ... SlEALw_wcB. Amazon has the exact same part for 10x the price.

I actually use the straight ones one my V2 plumbed machine. For some reason they are much cheaper. For what you will pay at the place above for 3 or 4, I got a bag of 25 of the straight ones. Maybe there's not as much clearance on the Minis and they need the right angle ones.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I missed the fine print on Amazon. Even though $23.00 is 10x the cost of one terminal on the other website, you get a package of 50. Of course if you only need 3 at $2.30 from the other site so it may still be cheaper depending on their shipping cost. If you have Amazon Prime there is no shipping cost for the bag of 50.

Alternately, I see that Amazon also offers 7 pieces for $6 with free prime shipping:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-84172-Yel ... B0049E2GVE
Chas
Hottop P/B
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

chas wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 pm I can't tell from this photo if anything is actually corroded but it looks like you're trying to set a record for the dirtiest Mini boiler. :grin:
So what do I win? Right angle insulated crimp connectors?? PLEASE say it's crimp connectors.

Thanks for the help, ordering now. Looks like a good cleaning of my machine is in order. I've been looking for a new project!
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

I had trouble finding the insulated right angle ones, so i used the uninsulated kind with high temp heat shrink.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Had you already cleaned or replaced the Vacuum Breaker Valve on this machine? It's the only clean, shiny part on the whole boiler!
Chas
Hottop P/B
JerDGold
Latte

Post by JerDGold »

chas wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:56 am Had you already cleaned or replaced the Vacuum Breaker Valve on this machine? It's the only clean, shiny part on the whole boiler!
Never. I bought the machine used, so maybe the previous owner had replaced it at some point. I did take it out once to inspect the inside of the boiler, but I don't remember cleaning it at all.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”