Removing steam wand elbow from boiler

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
bikerdude
Americano

Removing steam wand elbow from boiler

Post by bikerdude »

Hey folks, first time poster - please go easy on me :)

I recently noticed a hissing leak in my S1 mini where the elbow fitting (feeding the steam wand) threads into the head of the steam boiler. I can tighten the elbow fitting slightly but that ends up orienting the silicon hose directly towards the side of the chassis which would cause a severe kink in the hose. So that's a no go.

My plan is to remove the hose from the elbow fitting, then unthread the elbow entirely. Then put a few wraps of thread tape on the elbow and reinstall.

Here's the problem I'm having. I used a 14mm wrench to remove the compression nut from this elbow fitting. But I'm unable to remove the silicon hose from the elbow. I believe there is some sort of ferrule and insert inside the tubing but it's just too tight to remove the hose from the elbow. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, any other ideas?

Other questions: Are the ferrules and inserts one time use only? Does Chris Coffee sell these?
MDL
Barista

Re: Removing steam wand elbow from boiler

Post by MDL »

I believe that you just need to wiggle and pull to get the tube out.
Ed
Americano

Re: Removing steam wand elbow from boiler

Post by Ed »

Hi,

I've had a leak on this part before. Mine was a leak internally in the elbow. Honestly I would just order the replacement part (refer to the parts diagram online) and a length of new Teflon tube, the tube gets chewed up from the push fittings and won't reliably re-use. To remove the old tubing you have to hold back the collar of the ferrule with a small tool of some kind of small tool like a screwdriver or wrench. When you put in the new tubing may sure it is seated fully into the pushfit connection to avoid leaks. I found using a rubber dish glove helps when pushing or pulling on the Teflon tubing to get a better grip. Use a food/water-safe thread paste on the elbow threads instead of Teflon tape to avoid the chance of bits of tape getting into other places where it can cause problems. Hope this helps!
Ed
La Spaziale S1 Dream, Nuovo Simonelli MDX On Demand

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”