Hiss from boiler pressure relief valve

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
TCStuckey3rd
Latte

Hiss from boiler pressure relief valve

Post by TCStuckey3rd »

Hey guys,

I have a Vivaldi II S1 that has worked great for about 10 years. Ive always left it on pretty much all the time. Over the last two weeks there has developed an audible hiss that occurs every one to two minutes. Not super loud, but definitely a new finding and annoying. Machine functions fine. I opened it up and it seems to be coming from the steam boiler relief valve. Not a full on venting (I’ve had that in the past and it is loud and scary!), just a sizzle sound that was not there before. The release is coming from the place shown in the pic. Any ideas? Thanks!
03334EB0-3593-474D-A32F-C6CEB6581770.jpeg
03334EB0-3593-474D-A32F-C6CEB6581770.jpeg (230.39 KiB) Viewed 12236 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Hiss from boiler pressure relief valve

Post by chas »

Sounds like you need a new valve. They're about 50 bucks.

Of course, that assumes the hissing is coming from the top where it blows out pressure. If it is coming from one of the threaded joints, you may just have to unscrew the hissing section and put some teflon tape on it.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
TCStuckey3rd
Latte

Post by TCStuckey3rd »

Thanks for the reply! It seems to be coming out of that gap right at the tip of the arrow in the pic. Not from the Teflon taped joint at the entrance to the boiler, and not from the top.

Side note: a couple of the ground wires attached are really corroded near the nut. Can I just cut off the corroded section and splice in a fresh section of wire? I don’t need to replace the entire wire back to its source right?

Thanks!
s1guy
Latte

Post by s1guy »

You've probably replaced this already, but for anyone else that may run into this, I had the same issue. What fixed it for me was getting the boiler up to pressure and then manually lifting the valve up. This caused a bunch of steam to escape and, I'm assuming, cleaned out anything that was stopping the valve from closing all the way.
Coolbeans05
Freeze Dried

Post by Coolbeans05 »

I have this same issue. I’ve had my s1 for 13yrs boiler has been on 24/7 until 3months ago when a steam hose wore and started to leak. At that time I use the machine with the boiler off
Fast forward to this week. I replaced the hoses repaired some corroded wire ends on boiler. Turned it back on and once the steam pressure builds up it starts hissing out of the valve as shown in OPs pic above ,of course I turn off boiler and open steam knob Psi relief valve never reseals until all the steam is exhausted.
Any thoughts?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You need a new valve.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Coolbeans05
Freeze Dried

Post by Coolbeans05 »

That is what I figured. I took it apart and their is a Teflon gasket that seals with pressure from a spring. Their is a screw that holds Teflon gasket in place, I removed screw and flipped the Teflon gasket put it back in and it works as it should 👍.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Glad to hear it. I've never had any problems with that part on the machines I have owned so I didn't know how repairable the OPV was.
Chas
Hottop P/B
TCStuckey3rd
Latte

Post by TCStuckey3rd »

I replaced the valve with one online for like $15. Works great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”