5 years... now what?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
lorennoyes
Americano

5 years... now what?

Post by lorennoyes »

So I have a Mini V2 that is coming up to being 5 years old. I've have a few issues here and there along the way but overall it's been a fantastic machine! I remember when purchasing the machine from Clive Coffee, the guy told me that after 5 years, I'd want to ship it back to them to have them descale and/ or replace the boiler. I didn't think much of it at the time, but here I am at the 5 year mark and wondering what type of maintenance should I be doing? Do I really need to replace the boiler after 5 years? I feel comfortable replacing anything on my machine, so I certainly don't feel the need to ship it to someone to work on it. As for the machine itself, it seems to be in great shape. I don't believe the brew boiler temperature is as stable as it should be though. Thoughts and opinions are welcome!
ScottinTexas

Re: 5 years... now what?

Post by ScottinTexas »

What did you end up doing? My attitude is don’t fix what aint broke. This said, good maintenance prevents many preventable issues. Also, I don’t want to send mine in bc then I’ll be wothout it for sveral weeks!
reefkeep
Latte

Post by reefkeep »

I have the same question....
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

After 14-15 years on a S1, my steam boiler is shot. The hot water elbow on the steamer broke off. Just replaced with new elbow and was a pain getting the rest of the broken pieces out of the boiler. Installing it a few days ago a and when I was tightening the cap on the bottom drain, it snapped off. New boiler is ~$400. Think better to spend that money on a new machine. Always wanted a e61 group head anyway. Looking at the Profitec Pro 700
clumeng
Latte

Post by clumeng »

I'm at 10y with my VII and all seems well. I emailed Chris Coffee re any need to descale and they said no. Kinda surprised but I trust them. Trying to decide next move when this starts to fail. Between the GS3 and Decent at the moment.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”