S1 V1 no flow question - obstruction in flow meter outlet pipe

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
squanto

S1 V1 no flow question - obstruction in flow meter outlet pipe

Post by squanto »

First post here and I just want to say thanks for such a great resource! I've already learned a lot by reading threads and the manuals posted on here.

I've got an elderly S1 (2004) that's been stored for years that I'm trying to put into service and am having some issues getting it to work. I've not no flow from either the group or the steam boiler and the boiler light comes on steady. When I try to pull a shot, the three lights (either green or amber depending on which button) come on. I get nice loud clicks from the three way when I do this, by the way

I've started working my way up the water flow path starting at the flow meter and found that the passage between the inlet and the chamber with the vane was plugged so I cleaned that up. Also, I got zero ohms no continuity between the '+' and '0' posts on the meter so I ordered a new flow meter cover from EspressoParts.com. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I pulled apart the three way valve and verified that it was not stuck and all the passages where clear. I pulled the shower screen and diffusion block off and those are squeaky clean. I also pulled the Lucifer valve off and verified that #2284 was not blocked.

So to my main question for now... I installed the new flow meter cover this morning but still have no flow past the flow meter. Working my way up, I pulled pipe #7539 to see if that was blocked and found that it was. I noticed on my machine, that the outlet of the flow meter is setup a little different than the diagram below that I found on a different post. It doesn't have the spring or filter disk parts (1625, 275,276...), maybe the previous owner removed them? What I did find was that tube #7539 was blocked at the flow meter end. After scraping out the crud that was completely blocking the tube, I found what looks like a flow restrictor inside the pipe? It looks like a tiny brass bead with the tinsiest hole drilled in it (which was also plugged). I cleared the obstruction using the thinnest pin I could find in my wife's sewing kit. It's such a small opening that I'm incredulous that the machine can even work correctly with it like that. Is this normal? Thanks!

Last edited by squanto on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: S1 V1 no flow question - obstruction in flow meter outlet pipe

Post by chas »

The part you're describing sounds like part #276 that your machine doesn't? have. 276 is called a gicleur which just means a part with a small orifice to restrict flow. That "bead" in your line is apparently providing the equivalent function.

Bottom-line: Are you getting flow into the group boiler now?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

This is what the machine is telling you when you press either the one or two-cup buttons. It actually means that the flowmeter vane is either not turning or is turning too slow. However, anything blocking the water flow between the pump and the group head will cause this. It doesn't necessarily mean the flow meter has gone bad.

4.1 Damaged Flow Meter
When the flow meter isn't working properly or when the coffee grind is too fine, this is
indicated by the turning on of the lights 14-15-16; if you are making one coffee dose,
and the lights 17-18-19 if you are making two coffee doses. This is a non-blocking
alarm. This alarm is actually useful when back flushing as an indication of when to turn
off the pump and allow the 3-way valve to operate.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
squanto

Post by squanto »

Thanks! It sounds like my old unit just has a slightly different arrangement than that diagram. I soaked the end of the tube in white vinegar until I could suck some through the tube more freely before putting it back together. I am getting good flow from the group head now. I'm not 100% sure that the old flowmeter sensor was bad, but multiple sources I found online indicated it should read about 2k ohms across the poles, but mine had no continuity.

Now to figure out the steam wand. It seems like the boiler fills and heats normally and I can get hot water from the tap, but only a few drips come out of the wand. I'm guessing the tip is plugged.
squanto

Post by squanto »

Thanks, again Chas! I'm in business. I cleaned the tip and now I've got steam. Hurray! Now I'm off to the other forums to read up on how to drive this machine to its fullest.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”