No water from S1 group head

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
fn

No water from S1 group head

Post by fn »

My earlier generation S1 has been sitting in my basement for almost a decade. When I hooked it up a couple of weeks ago, everything worked as expected except for no water getting to the group head.

Here is what I have done so far:
  • Took the flowmeter apart and clear an obstruction in one of the orifices (the one towards the front of the machine, if it makes a difference).
  • Disconnected the solenoid valve from the brew head and confirmed that the two holes into the head were clear and that the path to the water tray was unobstructed.
  • The pump works and refills the steam boiler as expected. I have looked for instructions for priming the brew path. But what I have found doesn't appear to work with the board that is in my machine.
I have the hydraulic diagram for the S1 II, which appears to be mostly the same as for the earlier version I have. I have tools. And I have the sides, front and back off the machine. But my work space is cramped (I have to place the machine on the laundry sink to connect it to water).

Any advice on how to proceed most efficiently would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: No water from S1 group head

Post by chas »

You mentioned that the pump runs and refills the steam boiler. However, you didn't mention whether the pump runs when you press the 1 cup or 1 cup buttons.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
fn

Post by fn »

Yes, the pump runz when I press the brew buttons. After several seconds I get either 3 three flashing lights or three yellow flashing lights depending on which button I pressed (same as described in the article at https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/en-u ... eter-Error).
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Is it also safe to assume by the age of your machine that it is a plumbed-in, rotary pump machine and not the vibe pump, tank "Mini" version?

I think your next step is to methodically check the water path and find out where it fails. You mentioned checking and cleaning the flowmeter. Assuming that you do have the plumbed in version, it has the advantage that water keeps the group boiler filled under line pressure; i.e. it doesn't need to pump to run. If you did not already do this I would 1) shut off the water supply 2) disconnect the flowmeter output line and put a towel in front of the orifice 3) turn the water back on 4) check that water is coming out at line pressure just long enough to be sure without making a mess.

If that works then you might try removing the bolt on top of the group boiler so you can check inside to be sure it is full. Also do this step with the water off, though if the boiler seems to be full of air you might turn the water on briefly to ensure that it fills while giving the air a place to escape.

If the boiler is full and heating properly then the only real item left is the 3-way solenoid valve. You mentioned taking the valve apart and cleaning it but did you check for the telltale click noise it should make when you press the 1C or 2C buttons that indicates it actually opened?
Chas
Hottop P/B
fn

Post by fn »

Thanks for the suggestions, Chas. The machine does require plumb-in and has a rotary pump. So, I'll check for water through the flowmeter and at the boiler and report back. Expect to hear back from me next weekend. Thanks.
fn

Post by fn »

Water is going in the flowmeter but not reaching the boiler. I took out the copper tube between the flowmeter and the boiler and confirmed that it was blocked. The culprit appears to be the tiny filter that is held by the spring at the flowmeter end. I can't seem to take the filter or the flow jet off. So, I'll soak the tube in citric acid overnight and see if that clear the blockage.

Hopefully, I won't fix this only to find that there is another blockage between the boiler and the head. I'll report back on the results. Thanks again for putting me on the right track.
fn

Post by fn »

Soaking for a couple of hours appeared to have done the job. I reinstalled the tube and got brew water through the head. Yay!!!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Congrats
Chas
Hottop P/B
weijen

Post by weijen »

I got the same issue.Luckily, found the flow meter been blocked by dirt. Just wonder how could the machine been tested before ship to customer.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”