Leaking boiler inlet

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
steamydream

Leaking boiler inlet

Post by steamydream »

Where the plastic water tube enters the boiler via an elbow, the push fit seal is not working and leaks BIG TIME when the pump starts. Now I'm assuming I need a replacement 1/4" to 4mmm elbow fitting, but I can't find one for the life of me! Any help?
FullSizeRender-2.jpg
FullSizeRender-2.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
steamydream

Re: Leaking boiler inlet

Post by steamydream »

Okay I've managed to solve this by snipping off the very end of the tube which was slightly damaged, and re-inserting.
steamydream

Post by steamydream »

I also soaked the connector in vinegar which really helped!
ryanbolson
Freeze Dried

Post by ryanbolson »

I have the same issue, though only 2-3 drops every time pump is activated.

How did you get the tube loose. Count figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fredegar

Post by fredegar »

indeed , i have the same problem , how do you loose it and a picture would help
Ed
Americano

Post by Ed »

I just repaired two leaking connectors on my S1 Dream (one straight connector at the brew boiler inlet and one elbow on the steam boiler that connects to the steam pressure gauge). What I have found is that sometimes a poorly cut ending on the teflon tubing can contribute to a leak, but sometimes the connectors develop internal leaks. Once I received and compared the new parts (through idrinkcoffee here in Canada) with the old ones I could see that the original parts had loosened at the joints and there were small o-rings that had deteriorated. I also replaced the teflon tubing that runs to the brew boiler inlet when I did this as the old section was shorter than was ideal and had become a bit chewed up from previously disconnecting and reconnecting it when I was troubleshooting the problem. I used a potable water-safe pipe dope on the threads of the connectors where they join the boilers.

The replacement connector factory part numbers and diagrams for your machine should be available on the Chris Coffee page for the machine, or other websites possibly.

Overall I would say don't wait to repair this type of leak, it's not particularly difficult after you order the parts and plan out the work in terms of creating some time and space for it. Otherwise the leaks will continue to cause rust and potentially other problems, as well as be a general nuisance! I'm now enjoying using the machine again instead of thinking about the leaks.

From my experience disconnecting and reconnecting the teflon tube from the push fit connections:

To remove:
- Have some paper towel or an absorbent cloth on hand to soak up any water that comes out from disconnecting the tube
- The pressure needs to first be released from the machine. On my plumbed-in Dream, I did this by 1) closing the shutoff valve on the machine water line; 2) running brew group cycle button for about a second or two, only long enough to use the pre-infusion phase to drain some water. Important to stop the cycle before the pump activates otherwise it will cavitate which is not good; 3) turn off the power to the machine.
- Then use a small tool such as the open end of a very small wrench to push against the end of the connector, this holds back the last piece which otherwise works to bite against the tubing inside the connector
- While you're pushing back the end of the connector, pull out the tubing with your other hand. I found this sometimes hard to do depending on the location of the connector and because the teflon tubing is small and slippery. One thing I found that works is to put on a rubber dish glove on that hand, it provides much more friction for pulling or pushing on the teflon tubing

To reconnect simply push the tubing back into the connector. Make sure it's actually in all the way, you should feel it enter the connector by a certain amount (several millimeters / 0.25"?) then stop. If it's not in all the way the tube may blow out of the connector when you repressurize the machine which will result in a fair size water spill, I'm speaking from experience on that :grin:

Good luck,
Ed
La Spaziale S1 Dream, Nuovo Simonelli MDX On Demand

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”