S1 Dream - temperature drop during brew

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
joespataro

S1 Dream - temperature drop during brew

Post by joespataro »

Hey All!

I upgraded from an Andreja Premium to an S1 Dream in January 2016. The Dream has been impressive for the most part. WIthin the past two months I've noticed some concerning changes. If I set the brew temp to 199F (for example), I'll see a 6+ degree temperature drop on the readout during the 30sec shot pull. During the pull, the temp on the readout almost never recovers to the set temp. I've spoken with CC on this issue. Apparently the sensor placement at the rear of the boiler has an effect on the readout. Additionally, I've tried various temperature sensors at this point; I don't think the sensor is the issue. Here are some other notes:

1) I use the standard 10" filter/softener setup. I change the softener cartridge every 3-4 months b/c our standard tap water is around 12grains.
2) I don't have a pressure regulator at the moment; our water pressure runs 4-5.5 bar. Very occasionally I see a high pressure warning (maybe once/week)
2)I have a Compak E10 grinder and I typically yield a 1:1.5-2 espresso in 30sec using a 19-20g dose in a precision 21g triple basket.
3) I don't have a scace to check temp at the puck.

What are others observing in the way of temperature drops? Should I ignore this? Thanks!!

Joe.
goodboyr
Barista

Re: S1 Dream - temperature drop during brew

Post by goodboyr »

That sounds about normal. And remember that this does not in any way represent the actual temperature that is at the pf. Tests using scace (you can search for these in this forum) show very good temperature stability for the dream assuming you've done a couple of warm-up flushes if you are starting from idle.
Bob
La Spaziale Dream and Baratza Sette 270W
joespataro

Post by joespataro »

Thanks for the feedback. I assumed the behavior might be normal based on the relative volume of water in the boiler. My concern stems from the fact that the temp drop seems to be getting worse. What is a reasonable drop?
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Just did a pull. Machine fully warmed up. Two warming flushes. Setpoint is 198f. 30 second pull. 16 gram load. Temp went down to 192 then came up to by end of pull.
Bob
joespataro

Post by joespataro »

Thanks. That behavior is right in line with mine.
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

Meant to say "came up to 195 at end of pull".
Bob

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”