High Tech Steam Boiler Gasket call for interest

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
steve96822
God Shot

High Tech Steam Boiler Gasket call for interest

Post by steve96822 »

Parts drawing #899 is steam boiler oem gasket
s1 boiler gasket drawing.PNG (10.48 KiB) Viewed 25419 times
Hi everyone. I developed the silicone grouphead gaskets for S1 and other La Spaziale espresso machines. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive thus far. Thank you. I have not received any negative reports yet.

After I spent hours to dig out the oem steam boiler gasket that had become fused-melted into its slot(see pics) I began to look into better options for this gasket.

Steam boiler gasket replacement can become an issue when doing an

# open boiler descaling

# replacing steam boiler heating element

# cleaning steam boiler heating element

# if steam boiler leaks

# after removing boiler lid for whatever reason.

I have been developing and testing various up to date gasket options, namely silicones, various silicone compounds quite a bit more modern than the oem flat cut gasket (see pic) Also been researching higher tech gasket shapes rather than standard flat rings.

Realizing this is not a huge market such as could be seen on various "Kickstarter" projects I thought it wise to post here to gauge level of interest among La Spaziale owners.

The LS steam boiler gasket would be custom molded for our machines with the same spirit as are the silicone grouphead gaskets.

To help defray initial costs I wonder how many would consider or actually pledge to get the first gaskets produced?

My idea is to pack 2 steam boiler gaskets together for about 10-12 USD plus shipping. Price for S1cafe members.
(Standard oem gaskets cost about 5 USD each pluc s&h. )

Legacy OEM gasket
Legacy OEM gasket
steam gasket oem.jpg (718.82 KiB) Viewed 25419 times
s1 boiler gasket drawing.PNG (10.48 KiB) Viewed 25419 times
Shows melted fused oem gasket
P_20151221_195547_NT.jpg (756.29 KiB) Viewed 25419 times
P_20151221_195535_NT.jpg (446.48 KiB) Viewed 25419 times
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Faema lever antique(working)
steve96822
God Shot

Re: High Tech Steam Boiler Gasket call for interest

Post by steve96822 »

Thus far no replies. Can I assume the steam boiler gasket is a low interest part ?
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Just saw the initial offer.
I have a full maintenance coming up and I assume that my gasket will look like yours.
I am in for a set.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
shrewd1
Cappuccino

Post by shrewd1 »

I'm surprised that is hasn't got alot more interest from Vivaldi owners as it's a very handy little part.

I recently descaled my steam boiler which I think is a must for every Vivaldi owner's maintenance program as the amount of limescale I found inside was scary stuff.

I had to srape the existing gasket for over an hour which was caked into the steam boiler lid so just that easily makes it worth the price and talking about the price, La spaz prices for one of these gaskets are the same as steve is charging for two!

Also, I feel that now that I have descaled the steam boiler, I have to wait a long time before I can open the steam boiler lid again to descale as I would have to probably throw away the la spaz gasket and buy another, the spaz gasket is made up of a cardboard like material which deforms as its compressed there under the lid exposed to high temperatures whereas with the silicone gasket it will probably not deform so you can descale periodically without having to buy another gasket.

It's a total no brainer to me!
adagan
Latte

Post by adagan »

I think that while changing (or cleaning) the gasket in the brew head is easy and part of a frequent routine, opening the steam boiler is something most owners fear and hope to never have to do, hence the hesitation in committing to a purchase, even though the risk seems very small.
So you can sign me up for a pair of gaskets, as I am just past the denial stage of the coping-with-espresso-machine-maintenance experience...
Thanks!
C8H10N4O2
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In order for a silicone gasket to pay off you have to assume you will be keeping your machine long enough to change the steam boiler gasket 2 or more times. The first time you will always have the hassle of removing the stock factory gasket. I have had three S1 machines and only replaced this gasket once on one of the three machines.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
lakecoder
Americano

Post by lakecoder »

I'd be in for a set. I figure I'm due - 2007 S1VII
steve96822
God Shot

Post by steve96822 »

Thanks for your input and support. I wasn't aware that LS charges that much for a single gasket. I ordered my oem style replacement gasket from an aftermarket supplier but they only use DHL so I had to pay significantly more for the order. If you have ever opened the coffee boiler to inspect the element or inside you will note the gasket is apparently some sort of rubber-silicone and does not get hard or sufficiently hard to cause failure. I was able to clean mineral deposits on it and use it again to close boiler.

We can all assume the steam boiler- heating element should be cleaned-descaled and that means opening it. Might not be a bad idea to do this on new machines fairly soon as the oem gasket probably has not become concrete yet and can be removed with minimum difficulty.

If some of us perform maintenance on several machines not having to spend at least 1 hour to dig out the old gasket and clean the groove means greater efficiency (time saved)

While on the topic let me add this; whatever gasket used, the 8 bolts should be tightened sequentially and evenly as to not apply focal pressure to one side that could distort the gasket. So typically 12 oclock hand tightened, then 6 then 9 then 3. Use a similar pattern for the other 4 bolts. Continue to tighten more in the same manner.

My experience with rubber-silicone gaskets tested thus far shows that a few times around using this method works well.
S1 V1 220volt
Mazzer mini
Ascaso Innova doserless
Simonelli Oscar
Olympia Cremina
Hiro

Post by Hiro »

Hi Steve, is this already available? If so I'd like to get a set. If not yet, sign me up for a set.

I would also like to get a couple of the silicone group head gaskets. Can you let me know where to get those? Thanks.

Busy jazzsetting
mnspaz

Post by mnspaz »

Old thread revival - OP - did you ever get to successfully produce this?

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”