Pre infusion fitted... now back flush noise

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
nod1
Latte

Pre infusion fitted... now back flush noise

Post by nod1 »

Hi
i have recently bought and fitted the mechanical pre-infusion device which i think has come from Chris' coffee but i bought it from La Spaz in the UK. It was straightforward to fit and i now get 6 seconds before the espresso appears - all good. the issue is that now, i think on only some shots, i get a noise at the end of the extraction when i press the double cup button (to stop the extraction). it is the same noise you get when back flushing and am pretty sure it is water going down into the drip tray (? through the solenoid valve?)
is this normal or has something gone wrong during the fitting please
thanks
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Pre infusion fitted... now back flush noise

Post by rhinoevans »

Normal
nod1
Latte

Post by nod1 »

rhinoevans wrote:Normal
excellent - thanks for the speedy response... does it happen without pre-infusion and i have not noticed before? or if not, why does it happen with pre-infusion
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

I think it is just the back flush of the water. Added mine a year ago, not sure I can taste the difference in the cup, but I don't regret it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I agree with Rhinoevans that the sound is normal. That preinfusion device has a spring loaded cylinder inside. When you first start a shot, the water pressure pushes back that cylinder and it fills with a couple ounces of water. This greatly lowers the pressure on top of the puck so that you get good preinfusion.

When the shot shuts off and the 3-way valve opens, you not only get the normal water pressure release into the drip tray but the spring in that cylinder pushes out the extra two ounces very quickly and adds to the water flow out the 3-way valve.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
nod1
Latte

Post by nod1 »

Thanks a lot Chas... This is super helped and a great explanation. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nod1
Latte

Post by nod1 »

rhinoevans wrote:I think it is just the back flush of the water. Added mine a year ago, not sure I can taste the difference in the cup, but I don't regret it.
Thanks also... I have only had mine a week but I am not sure what difference I am noticing. What difference do you think it should have made? I'm going to post a question about making coffee after preinfusion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”