Vivaldi, new pump, loud motor?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
oldparkedcars

Vivaldi, new pump, loud motor?

Post by oldparkedcars »

Hi guys, I recently bought a Vivaldi and had the pump rebuilt, but there was a lot of rust buildup in between the motor and pump. I followed an instruction about adding some oil to the motor, and it freed up nicely. The machine pulls good shots now, but seems a lot louder than a rotary should be. Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/XxjKezDnulE volume is the same when plumbed in
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Vivaldi, new pump, loud motor?

Post by chas »

Even though you freed up the front motor bearing with oil, it sounds like it's shot. The way to confirm whether the motor bearing is bad or whether you got a bad pump rebuild is take off the mating collar between the motor and the pump, separate them, and then press the shot button. That way the motor will run without also turning the pump. If the motor is good it should be practically silent - maybe a just a slight hum.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
oldparkedcars

Post by oldparkedcars »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll take everything apart and document it. What are my options for servicing the motor? Are good used replacements available?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Check out this thread if you haven't already. There is a part number for the bearing and a recommendation that you purchase the replacement bearing and then take it and the motor to a local motor repair shop. It's not hard to take off the front cover and replace the bearing but it takes a special tool to pull the old bearing and press a new one onto the shaft.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1290&p=21230&hilit=bearings#p21230
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

BTW: Compared to the new pump price of $140, how much did it cost to get it rebuilt?
Chas
Hottop P/B
oldparkedcars

Post by oldparkedcars »

$47 including return shipping, JC Beverage is great!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You saved yourself close to 100 bucks on that. How did the motor testing go?
Chas
Hottop P/B
oldparkedcars

Post by oldparkedcars »

Man, this case was hard to separate, and the side that popped off wasn't the side I needed access to. Does anyone know how to get at this bearing?
oldparkedcars

Post by oldparkedcars »

Stopped by the closest machine shop to the bearing supply, and the sweet old man recommended I soak the bearing overnight in penetrating oil and then hammer it out. It came out much easier than expected, and now this is the current state (hoping I can find a friend or machine shop who will lend a minute to my solution for no charge):
The machinist yesterday recommended the mating surface of the case be bead blasted, but it feels smooth. I guess I'll see how easily things go together ;-)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Based on your photo #2 there's no doubt that bearing was the problem. Are you just going to replace that one or both while you have the motor dismantled?

I think this info was in the thread I linked close to the beginning of this thread. The following has been recommended in the past:

1) Pull the pump out and inspect the area between the pump and the motor once or twice a year.
2) If everything looks OK or it doesn't and you have to do a repair, then after the repair two things are suggested:
2a) Drill out the small drainage hole in the bottom of the motor housing (just under the shaft that mates with the pump) so that it is slightly larger. With that done any seepage from the pump is more likely to drain out through that hole and help keep the area dry.
2b) Put a good amount of food grade grease around the end of the motor shaft in order to keep any water that does get into that area out of the motor's front bearing.

This will not prevent a pump failure but should keep a failing pump from taking out the motor at the same time.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”