Strange Alarm Code not in manual

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Nik H

Strange Alarm Code not in manual

Post by Nik H »

Hello all,

I have an original S1 machine that I purchased new from Chris coffee a few years ago. I have never had a problem. It has been a great machine. About 1 week ago, it started exhibiting a problem.

Here is the configuration (light and button numbers are from the manual)...

1. Machine set to 20A mode (always has been). Machine is warm and boiler is off.
2. Group is on with temp set to 95 degrees C. Three temp lights (14-16) are illuminated steady green.
3. On/standby light (22) illuminated steady green.
4. Turn boiler on by pressing boiler button (26). Boiler light (13) comes on illuminated red.
5. After a few seconds (sometimes a minute or two), lights 14-16 and light 22 turn off completely and boiler light (13) blinks red
6. If I depress the boiler button (26) to turn off the boiler, the temperature lights and on/standby light immediately come back on.

Seems like something is wrong when the boiler is turned on.

Anyone have any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Nik H
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Strange Alarm Code not in manual

Post by chas »

That's a strange one. Did you try unplugging the machine for a couple of minutes and then plug it back it? It almost sounds like the controller board has gotten itself into a weird state.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Nik H

Post by Nik H »

Hi Chas,

I tried that to no avail. I will also try to call Chris Coffee tomorrow to see if they can tell me anything.

Thanks for replying.

BR,

Nik H
Nik H

Post by Nik H »

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I talked to Chris Coffee today and the problem was a dirty and clogged screen in the back valve assembly. I had to disconnect the valve assembly; take it apart and thoroughly clean it. Once this was done and the unit re-assembled I had to clear the fault by disconnecting the wiring that connects to the heating element on the top of the boiler (2 spade lug connections). I then powered everything up and the problem was solved.

It certainly was a strange alarm as even Chris Coffee had not seen it before. However, they took their time and walked me through a sequence which allowed them to remotely diagnose. They then immediately sent me diagrams and photos to show me how to correct.

Great customer service on their part!!

Best regards,

Nik H
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

In hindsight after reading your original description again and knowing now what the issue turned out to be, you were seeing the last alarm listed in the User's Manual.

I actually had this one happen to me on my original S1 though it came on slowly over many months. I noticed that the pump was running longer and longer to refill the steam boiler. Eventually it went beyond 1 minute and I started getting this alarm. I think they added the screen that you had to clean later. In my case the deposits that caused my issue got past where the screen is now and blocked the gicleur valve that restricts water flow/pressure into the steam boiler. Still is was a pretty quick and simple fix once I knew where to look. After I cleaned this out the pump never had to run more than a few seconds to refill the boiler.

5.6 Boiler Automatic Refill System Failure
(only with the boiler turned on)
This is a blocking alarm which is signaled by blinking of the Boiler (13) light. If the pump runs
for more than 1 minute attempted to refill the boiler without the controller circuit receiving a
boiler full signal, this alarm is triggered.
This alarm can be temporarily cancelled by pressing the BOILER (26) button to turn off the
boiler. The VII can be operated with the steam boiler off until repairs to the boiler function
occur.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Nik H

Post by Nik H »

Chas,

I checked and this is not in my copy of the manual. I bought my machine about 8-9 years ago...maybe an early manual?

Do you have a source for a newer copy??

BR,

Nik H
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You're right. This alarm never got added to the S1 Owner's Manual, but it has now. First update to this manual in 10 years!

s1v1/S1Pix/S1OwnersManual.pdf
Chas
Hottop P/B
Nik H

Post by Nik H »

Thank you Chas!!

BR,

Nik H

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”