Bolt for shower screens

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
CoffeeLegs

Bolt for shower screens

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Hi

I noticed some water leaking out the side of my shower screens the other day and thought the bolt needed a tighten... wrong!.. it snapped the bolt. It took over an hour to coax it out with a pliers and grips but got there in the end. I am now in need of a new bolt. I was wondering what is the exact size. Its for an S1miniV1 but my understanding the V2 is the exact same size, the machine is from 2007 so i assume it is the standard size thermal block (if that affects the length of the bolt).

Thanks
A
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Bolt for shower screens

Post by chas »

This thread, which actually contains a photo and information from a much earlier thread, should do the trick.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1217&p=14765&hilit=bolt#p14765
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Thanks Chas, i am pretty sure mine was a fully threaded hex bolt with around a 30mm in length (and yes 5mm diameter head). maybe 20mm would do the job too.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Though it also requires buying an "allen" wrench of the correct size, the alternate bolt was very popular back in the early days when there was no triple basket and the S1s only shipped with the thicker dispersion disks. At that time once you had enough coffee in the double basket along with the thicker dispersion disk, the hex head bolt left a good indentation in the top of the puck, The lower profile and rounded edges of the alternate bolt prevent that. It's not as much of an issue nowadays since the S1s are shipping with the thinner disk and so many folks are using triples.

I actually found a metric allen wrench that had a ball shaped end so that you could get the wrench end into the hole without having to have perfect aim. I really liked that
Chas
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Okay great, i am sure mine has the thicker dispersion disk, I am using a triple basket but I will still replace the bolt with the lower profile rounded bolt for the reasons you outline.

Thanks for your input as always Chas ;)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Even without having both disks on hand for comparison, there is still an easy way to tell if you have a thick or a thin disk. The holes in the thick disks are arranged in a star pattern and the ones on the thinner disk are in a circle. A 20mm bolt is long enough in either case.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CoffeeLegs

Post by CoffeeLegs »

Yes, mine is not in a circle pattern that is definite so that would make sense that i have the thicker one. Thanks!

Edit,
Chad, you were bang on, there was a star shape to the dispersal block and a 20mm nut did the job :lol:

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”