Is this rust on my portafilter? Help!

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
gene

Is this rust on my portafilter? Help!

Post by gene »

S1 only two years old and I can't get my portafilter clean right where coffee exits and forms two streams. Forms rusty looking channel about inch and 1/2 either side of split. My wife swears by Comet Bathroom Cleaner. Says its better than Mean Green. Have soaked with this Comet for hours and scrubbed with Qtips several times today. Cannot get rid of what looks exactly like rust.

Would really appreciate suggestions.
Thanks
scareyourpassenger

Re: Is this rust on my portafilter? Help!

Post by scareyourpassenger »

Pics?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Based on your way too harsh cleaning regimen, I'd say you've removed the chrome and are seeing the underlying brass.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I would have to agree with Chas. Speaking for myself, I just soak my portafilters in cafiza for about 30 minutes very few weeks and they look as good as new.
gene

Post by gene »

Sorry to disagree with youse guys. I don't have a "regular regimen". This is the first time I've ever cleaned it other than Cafiza.

Before finishing this post, was so worried called Chris Coffee. Tech says no way, even had I used a harsh cleaning compound it would not have removed the chrome.
In fact he recommends, "Use Scotch Brite Pads. Soak in Cafeza first. It will come off. That is definitely not rust".
Hmmmmm Back to the drawing board.

Guess thats what happens when you put beautiful bright(dimmable) LED's under portafilter. Now every feature is magnified, such as an dirty portafilter that needs a regular cleaning regimen.
Have noticed I spend a lot more time cleaning the face panel and surroundings.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”