Filtration system

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
bgosselin

Filtration system

Post by bgosselin »

It's not for my Vivaldi put I think many user here could give me a response.

I would like to plumb in my espresso machine but want to make sure my water is soft enough so I don't get problem with heating element. My space is very limited so I want something small. I check at home depot and on CC website and only find two filters system.

My question is. Is there a water softner system that is small in size that could be place on my espresso plumb line?

Do I need to go with a two cartriges? I've seen one made by watts. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pure-2- ... tem/803917

If so what is your favorite and why?
MDL
Barista

Re: Filtration system

Post by MDL »

Everpure produces single cartridge systems that both filter and soften. They are much more expensive than the generic cartridge systems that you can purchase from Chris Coffee or assemble yourself. Espresso Parts sells Everpure, as do other vendors. I use a two cartridge system that I initially purchased from Chris when I bought my vivaldi.

Good luck...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I bought and installed this CC Kit about four espresso machines ago and it is still working great. I installed it next to the cold water pipe under the kitchen sink. I hung both cartridges on the back wall of the cabinet under the sink. You can get good prices on the replacement cartridges at various internet retailers or even the local hardware store. The 10" cartridge holders are very standard.

Chris Coffee Filter and Softener Kit
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

For my installation I can't put the filters below the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink is on an island in the middle of the kitchen. My espresso machine is next to the oven on the opposite side. My water connection comes from the fridge and the only cabinet were i cant put it is half the wide of a regular cabinet. Probably only 10 inchs wide. The filter will be use only for the exspresso machine so not that much water going threw it. I wish the plummer would have been wise enough so the fridge connexion started under the kitchen sink. Then putting a filter for the fridge, the espresso machine and the kitchen faucet would have been easier. I could have use a bigger filter then.

This installation is at a ski condo.

I have a filter installation had home that is under the kitchen sink and is connect to the main faucet and the fridge. Work very well. That system is similar of the one sold by CC. A bit bigger.

I was hopping for a single filter hook to the line replacable every 6 months. Maybe Everpure is my only solution. Will keep searching. I found a few. Mainly ice maker purifier. But the don't mention if the soften the water. Only talk about odor,mrust etc...

Thanks for your help.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

The specifications just list "carbon" which will not reduce hardness substantially although they claim to reduce lime scale. However I think that you are on the correct track looking at the everpure line. Check to see if they make a cartridge in this format that includes both a softening resin and carbon filtration. I would suggest that you google everpure and call them to ask about their product line.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

chas wrote:I bought and installed this CC Kit about four espresso machines ago and it is still working great. I installed it next to the cold water pipe under the kitchen sink. I hung both cartridges on the back wall of the cabinet under the sink. You can get good prices on the replacement cartridges at various internet retailers or even the local hardware store. The 10" cartridge holders are very standard.

Chris Coffee Filter and Softener Kit
If you have a minute can you tell me the depth needed for CC kit?

I've check with everpure but cartdrige replacement is very expensive. I've seen one by Omnipure but not sure how effective it is.

I think i could make a hole behind the fridge and install the CC there. But that operation would give me about 4 inchs of clearance. The fridge is like 2inchs in front of the backwall. So if depth is more than 5.5 inch i don't think it would work.

With a behind the fridge installation I could use the filters for the espresso machine and the fridge. The fridge is on wheel. So replacement cardtriges wouldn't be that bad. I will probably use the machine there like 4 or 5 months per years. So it would been annual routine to change the cartrige before each ski season.
bgosselin

Post by bgosselin »

Anyone tried this system? Seem easy. Almost to easy. I tried to find negative review and there is not much. Pleaty of positive reviews. Scam?

http://www.vitasalus.net/hardnessmaster ... onditioner
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

It is 4.75" to the edge of the cartridge holder. My system is mounted using the brackets that Chris supplies. If you have 5.5" that should be more than adequate.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”