Puck Weld to PF

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
ronsil

Puck Weld to PF

Post by ronsil »

Since the arrival of my new Vivaldi II S1with pre-infusion & temp offset, I am finding that when using my bottomless PF the puck seems to weld itself to the hole area. It take a really hard bang to bang out the puck & I do mean really hard. I do not have the problem with either normal single or double PFs.

I dose at 18 grams for double, 11 grams for single & 18 grams for bottomless Pfs

It does not spoil the all important taste but am interested to find out the reason. It never used to happen with my old machine without pre-infusion but on the new one it happens both with & without using pre infusion.

I have tried using 2 different thicknesses of distribution disk thinking it might be associated with head room above the puck but it makes no difference.

Ron :-?
Endo

Re: Puck Weld to PF

Post by Endo »

Have you tried banging out the puck right after your shot finishes and not the next morning?
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

Other people are looking for the cookie instead of a soupy mess. You have found it. Seriously though, banging it out right away does make a difference. I'm guessing the fact that you are using a triple basket just means there's that much more dry ingredient that gets wet and then hard. I've removed the spring from my pf and use the double basket in the single spout pf. Then I can quickly and without mess make a double for my wife and one for me. By the time we're done and ready for another, the empty baskets have set for 20 to 30 minutes. The puck is pretty solid by then.
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

As part of my routine I always bang out the puck immediately after shot completes, rinse & replace in the grouphead. With the double & single PFs I get perfect ice-hockey pucks the problem only comes with the bottomless. As I said it did not happen on my old machine. Somehow I still think its to do with the headroom above the puck.

Ron
Endo

Post by Endo »

I expected the LaSpaz triple has proportionally more side surface area than any espresso basket ever created. Difficult puck removal should be no surprise.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

AFter shots with the bottomless PF I leave in place while I steam, arrange the service, etc. Then, before knocking out the puck I run water through for a second or two. If I detach and immediately (several seconds) knock out the puck it comes out cleanly and easily. If I wait longer there is a much greater tendency for the puck to stick and come out leaving a messy basket. But except for triples (which I don't do that much) I never dose past 16g on the S1, so don't know if this would work for you.

good luck
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

Thanks for that information. Sounds a good possibility. Will try it for breakfast tomorrow mornung & post result.
ronsil

Post by ronsil »

Well, that did it. Many thanks.

I let it run the pre-infusion seconds & just as the pump cut in I stopped it & detached the PF & banged out. Clean firm puck, clean PF.

I now have the problem solved although I am still not completely sure why it should happen only with the bottomless.
jbb
God Shot

Post by jbb »

ronsil wrote: I am still not completely sure why it should happen only with the bottomless.
Maybe the basket cools much more quickly on the bottomless, contracts a bit, puck sticks more. Dunno. Glad it worked for you.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”