What should I do to my S1V1?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
awong

What should I do to my S1V1?

Post by awong »

I bought one of the first S1 machines back sometime around 2003-2004? Can not recall exactly.

I have never had any trouble. Reading the board I feel guilty because the only thing I have done is the motor mount fix. For the first 4 years in Soutern Ca i had very hard water so I used RO water with a filter to add some minerals back so it did not eat my copper. Now in Seattle so I use tap water plumbed with water softener cartridge in a 10" filter and a carbon block. Water is pretty soft but just taking precautions. When I drained it for last move there was some white stuff in bottom more like paste than calcium.

Now I am longing for the V2 and the tighter temp control. Have talked to Chris Coffee and have a package of parts in mind to order. New board, gauge, panel, probes.

Wondering if I need to clean the boilers? No problems yet, soft water. No knocking noise.

What parts should I have on hand, besides what they are sending me? Only extra parts I was going to order were gaskets for boilers. Also instead of fan mod I can replace with a new relay that gets rid of fan entirely.

What else should I do while I am in there and do I want to mess with boilers? What tends to brake once the machine is disassembled that I should have ordered? Can someone provide links to these upgrades? V1 board to v2 board? Dual relay upgrade? Boiler removal and dip?
Endo

Re: What should I do to my S1V1?

Post by Endo »

First and foremost, remove you pump and check for rust on the shaft and bearing.

After that, you defintiely will need to open the boilers and descale. You never know what you'll find, but you'll definitely be glad you did. I think on the old model, there is no o-ring on the brew boiler and you'll need to order a gasket. Still, take a look at my blog, and even though I show a Mini, it will give you good idea of what's involved.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=1600

The other changes you suggest will end up costing a lot once eveything is added up. Not saying it is not worth it. Just be prepared.
awong

Post by awong »

Board and all the upgrades will probably total $600.

I am worried that once I start getting into it something will go wrong. Sort of surprised how well things are going. Has been on 24/7 all that time. Pull one to three doubles per day.

RO water with mineral added probably helped.
Endo

Post by Endo »

awong wrote: RO water with mineral added probably helped.
I used 50/50 RO and tap and ran for only2 hours a day for 2 years. And look what mine looked like inside.

Better to do it too soon than too late.
awong

Post by awong »

Thanks for the post, nice photos. Hopefully I can see some more photos before I start. I will try to sarch the forums Will take a bunch since mine is a machine with no service since new.

I have always had a filter after any water softener so I should not have that problem.

I just wish I could predict all the parts I will need ahead of time.
awong

Post by awong »

So the next question at $600 is should I do this? How much could I sell my machine for and where to sell it. Is it better to just get a V2? Need answers to argue before the boss! :)
Endo

Post by Endo »

awong wrote:So the next question at $600 is should I do this? How much could I sell my machine for and where to sell it. Is it better to just get a V2? Need answers to argue before the boss! :)
I thought you might ask that. :smile:

Hard call. You could probably get around $1200 for a used S1V1. Add another $600 and you are at $1800....add another $400 and you have a new machine.
bgour
Macchiato

Post by bgour »

What V2 features are you particularly interested in? If it's the "tighter temperature control" you can upgrade the the newer temp probes. This was done to my S1V1 by its previous owner.

If it's pre-infusion you're after you could add the chamber solution.

$600 is a lot to spend, imho, especially on an older machine.

Cheers
Brad
Vivaldi S1 V1, timer
Mazzer Mini
awong

Post by awong »

But I have to wonder if the new probes get tighter temp control or is it the logic on the circuit board? I think it would be a combination of both. Could be after 6 years I still think this is the best machine for home use but would be fun tonhave a change. Maybe a la cimbali could beat it but not much.

Pre infusion seems like an interesting option, but one of those things I have done fine without. Temp offset is interesting. Buying a thermocouple to do some tests.

My machine has been used for light home use with soft water so it still looks and acts like new. Would be fun to take it apart and I can afford the upgrade. However if I could figure out how to sell it that would be tempting.

Main thing is after spending a lot of time on the hobby about 5 years ago have just been enjoying the product lately. Roast when I need beans, drink espresso and cappuccinos, routine. May be time to put some more energy into this hobby and perfect my skills. Rebuilding my machine gets me more connected with it.

It would also be interesting to see what a machine looks like when you have had good water going in. I have always had soft water or RO with a calcite. Always had carbon filter inline to remove particles and improve water. So I should have no softener disaster like prior post and scale should be minimum. I am really curious now.
Endo

Post by Endo »

I encourage you to take it apart. I did and it was a fun weekend project. Not much to it. Everything comes apart and reassembles nicely. You learn a lot about how it works and you'll gain confidence so that when something does go wrong, you can fix it ourself easily and save a lot of money.

I'll bet you get surprised when you open your boiler and wish you did it sooner!
awong

Post by awong »

You are probably right. I should have run acid through it once a year. I wish I had a nice workshop. Will have to find a place to do this. 6+ years. Can not recall exactly when I got this thing.

Will miss it once I start.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Can easily be done in one afternoon. No need to go without espresso.
awong

Upgrading my V1

Post by awong »

Ordered all the parts to change V1 to V2. Will try to take some good photos. Changing Control Board, Gauge, Relay, Temp Sensor, and doing a citric acid dip. Depending on what I find I will either do a big dip or I will just fill boilers and dip heaters. I am hoping the wires and connectors are OK, otherwise will have to order more.

I am surprised there are no photos are blogs about the upgrade. No one else has done this?
NewEnglandCliff

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

So awong, how did this all go for you?

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”