Setting up Mini S1 after sitting idle for 1 year

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
alanmd
Americano

Setting up Mini S1 after sitting idle for 1 year

Post by alanmd »

I have a La Spaziale Vivaldi II Mini S1, about 2.5 years old. It has always worked fine; I simply used it and occasionally cleaned and descaled, there were no problems. 1 year ago I stopped living at the same address as my S1 (long story...), and from that time until now it just sat there; it was never emptied or prepared for 'storage' in any way.

I have the S1 back in my possession now. My question is, what is the best way (for the safety of the machine) of getting it up and running again? Will it be OK to just run a few tanks of water through both boilers, do a descale cycle or two, and clean the portafilter etc.? Should I do something more, such as open up, empty , and check the boiler(s)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Cheers!
Endo

Re: Setting up Mini S1 after sitting idle for 1 year

Post by Endo »

I'd drain both boilers and refill them with fresh water. Do a detergent clean of the reservoir too.

If you've never done it before, it would be a good time to open the brew boiler and do an inpection for rust around the heater backplate /nut and a descale.
alanmd
Americano

Re: Setting up Mini S1 after sitting idle for 1 year

Post by alanmd »

I forgot to reply- thanks for the advice.

I emptied and opened up both boilers, inspected for rust and didn't find any. I've had almost 7 trouble-free years of use since then, fingers crossed! In the middle of that time I moved across Canada and emptied and cleaned and inspected everything again as the machine was in storage for a couple of months. At that time I also fixed the dosing issues I'd had since day 1 (small brass shaving in the flowmeter, as mentioned in other threads on this site). Cheers!

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”