Pump pressure regulator failed

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
BobY

Pump pressure regulator failed

Post by BobY »

Hello all - thought I'd share my latest repair experience.

I'd been noticing that my shots were tasting "off", and that when I hit the brew button without the PF in place (to flush the screens) there was a LOT more water gushing out than normal. I suspected that the pressure was out of whack, so I hooked up my home brewed PF pressure gage, and indeed the pressure was off the charts. I set the pressure when I replaced the pump in 2007, so I figured that it needed more than just a little adjustment... there must be something wrong with the regulator. Fortunately, it was easy to remove (after shutting off the water supply, of course!) since the pump/regulator are just behind the front cover.

After removing the regulator, it was obvious that some corrosion on the bore was preventing the small plastic plunger from moving freely. After cleaning it with some sandpaper, I reassembled it, adjusted the pressure, and all is good again.

Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem. I'm surprised by how much corrosion there is on these brass parts... bad water in Toronto? Hmmm.

Cheers
Bob
Attachments
Corrosion on pressure regulator bore
Corrosion on pressure regulator bore
Pressure Regulator Crud.JPG (37.29 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Pressure Regulator Location
Pressure Regulator Location
Pressure Regulator Location.JPG (70 KiB) Viewed 3380 times
Endo

Re: Pump pressure regulator failed

Post by Endo »

Looks like scale to me. (Brass doesn't really corrode).

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”