Connection repaired but unit still not working.

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
atpayne82

Connection repaired but unit still not working.

Post by atpayne82 »

Back in february, I had a burnt heater connection on my S1. I just now got around to repairing it (too much to do, not enough time!) I crimped, soldered and used heat shrink on the wire/connector. After putting everything back together, I turned the unit on and it started like nothing had happened: came up to temp with no issues, boiler came to proper pressure. I ran water through the brew head and hot water outlet and had no issues whatsover and turned the system off. This afternoon, I turned it on and noticed that after everything heated up (boiler light was still blinking), the lights suddenly turned off. The only lights that were illuminated on the display were the 110, 120 degree and ECON lights.
Does anyone know what this means? And how can I fix it?
Thanks,
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Connection repaired but unit still not working.

Post by chas »

Did you look at the alarm section in the S1 manual? s1v1/S1Pix/S1OwnersManual.pdf

You didn't say whether those three lamps were on solid or blinking. See section 4.3 and 4.5. If the unit turned off, it sounds more like 4.5 since 4.3 shouldn't result in the S1 turning off. 4.5 essentially means that the steam boiler triac is not turning off when the temperature probe signals that the boiler is up to temp.

Hopefully it is something less painful but worst case you may need to buy a new triac board. I would recommend calling Chris Coffee and running it by their techs. They may have ideas for additional tests you can do to further narrow down the issue.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
atpayne82

Post by atpayne82 »

The three lights (110, 120, ECON) are solid.
If there wasn't enough water in the boiler, could that have any effect?
Thanks,
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

That could trigger it. So could a failing temperature probe. The first thing you should check is the connection to the temperature probe especially since it's adjacent to the connections you were working on. You probably ought to ensure that the wire is connected securely to the water level probe while you're at it.
Chas
Hottop P/B
atpayne82

Post by atpayne82 »

Ok, chalk this one up to "not enough coffee in the morning"............after checking everything again, I noticed the temperature probe connection wasn't connected. I must've disconnected it to compare it to the one I worked on and not reattached it. Everything is working now. Thanks again for the tips.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Excellent. I'm glad to hear that it was the easy and obvious solution. Free fixes are the best!
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”