Need advice on draining boiler in S1

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
gene

Need advice on draining boiler in S1

Post by gene »

Had posted the question below under flush routine and was afraid wouldn't get an answer anytime soon.

Had read some recommends draining boiler monthly? to stave off the INEVITABLE de-scaling procedure. That concerns me.

Not able to understand about procedure to drain boiler. Don't want to screw something up.

Would appreciate someone explaining your step-by-step boiler flush procedure. Its not in Chris's manual that I could find???
Thanks
gene
JohnB

Re: Need advice on draining boiler in S1

Post by JohnB »

If you use enough steam boiler water for hot water, washing, ect. to refresh the water in your steam boiler regularly you shouldn't need to drain too often. Going by memory my S1V2 held 44 oz of water & the most you could draw at any one time was around 30-32oz. I used several liters a day so the water was refreshed daily.

Draining is pretty easy even with the stubby little stock feet. Turn off the machine, unplug it, open the steam wand to bleed off pressure & let the boiler water cool off. Once the machine has cooled down put some blocks/books/ect. under the feet to raise the machine high enough so you can slide a pan underneath capable of holding 44-48 oz of water. Reach under with a wrench or socket (17mm??) & undo the drain plug. If nothing comes out the drain hole is scaled over & you will need to poke something up into the hole to break through the scale. Once drained make sure the inside of the drain cap is clean but be careful not to damage the seal molded into the inside bottom of the cap. Replace the cap, remove blocks, plug it back in & turn on the machine. Make sure you remembered to close the steam wand after bleeding off the pressure. If your machine is next to a sink you could save yourself a lot of time by draining directly into the sink if you could position the machine over the opening.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”