Gasket life

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
triathlon61
Latte

Gasket life

Post by triathlon61 »

How long do they usually last?
slo
Barista

Re: Gasket life

Post by slo »

Assuming that you are asking about the group head gasket; about 12 months, assuming also 24 hours power ON (my experience).

The longevity of the gasket varies a lot. There are a few parameters to consider:
-The gasket basically bakes dry in place. So if the gasket is old to begin with, it will dry off quicker.
-When the gasket ages it becomes harder and in turn it is harder to get a seal out of it. So the harder you are willing to lock the P/F in, the longer the gasket life.
-There are 2 basic theories on the effect of temperature on the gaskets. Choose yours:
-- The turning ON and OFF of the machine creates a thermal cycling that is ages the gasket quicker.
-- Leaving the machine ON all the time bakes the gasket quicker.
They both have merit but I do not think that thermal cycling of an elastomer is a big deal...

I always order a replacement as soon as possible after I replace the gasket.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
Endo

Post by Endo »

My first rubber PF gasket is still going strong, and I'm at 1.5 years. I expect I can easily push it to 2 or maybe even 3 years.

I do a couple of things that realy extend the life:

1- When not using the machine, leave the PF in place but do no "lock" it in place hard. Use just enough load on the handle so the PF doesn't fall out. This prevents setting a groove in the rubber.

2- Minimize the amount of time the machine is on. Turn it on 40 minutes before the shot but turn it off right after you finish. This prevents drying out of the rubber and it becoming brittle and cracked. In general, turning off the machine is always best. My experience tells me these "thermal cycling" theories are just myths, when it comes to espresso gear.

3- Flip the gasket over after 1 year of use. This does many things; It gives you a nice ungrooved surface that seals well, heats the other side to prevent one side from getting baked an brittle, and it prevents the gasket from getting permanently set in place (in which case you'll need to use a wood screw to remove it). Actually, if you can "practice" by removing the gasket with a dull flat screwdriver and reinstalling it every 3 months, this is best since it will never set in place and you won't damage it through inexperienced removal.

At work, I often use these "Kalrez" high performance PTFE seals (good up to 327C).

http://www.dupontelastomers.com/product ... kalrez.asp

Expensive at around $100 each (so not pratical really). Still, I may see if I can get a used one and see how low it lasts (just for fun).
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

My Vivaldi arrived in April 2007 and I am still using the initial gasket. As others have mentioned, my machine is only on for about 3 - 4 hours a day. When not on I leave the portafilter out on the counter. There is no suggestion of leaking and I do not have to force the portafilter to lock in so I see no reason to replace the gasket. My expectation is that having the gasket "cooking" while the machine is hot and the portafilter is locked in contributes to deterioration. I would therefore expect that the more hours your machine is on the shorter the gasket life will be, but that is an expectation, not a data point.
Take care,
Mark
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I used to run my S1 about 12 hours a day & got 9-10 months out of one. The Speedster runs 24/7 so I expect a shorter life.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”