Innertube Backflush Disc

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
Endo

Innertube Backflush Disc

Post by Endo »

Since someone asked........

And for all you other keen flushers (not me of course). Here's an easy way to make a backflush disc using your spare screens and an old bike innertube:
IMG_1264 (300x200) (2).jpg
IMG_1264 (300x200) (2).jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
IMG_1265 (300x200).jpg
IMG_1265 (300x200).jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
IMG_1266 (300x200).jpg
IMG_1266 (300x200).jpg (35.78 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
IMG_1267 (300x200).jpg
IMG_1267 (300x200).jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
The water pressure on the 2 spare screens presses down on the tube and seals it perfectly.
MichaelN

Re: Innertube Backflush Disc

Post by MichaelN »

Endo wrote:Here's an easy way to make a backflush disc using your spare screens and an old bike innertube
Great idea; thanks for sharing. Mine didn't come with a backflush disk; so I've been looking for a substitute. Of course, the jury is still out on whether to backflush or not to backflush... Either way I want something handy to do the job, just in case.

Michael
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

Although in principal the idea is good, be careful with the type of rubber used. The tyre rubber is usually Buna-N or EPDM and not necessarely food grade and thermally stable. So I would think twice before using them in a food machine...

If you can find a piece of silicone rubber (like the silicone cookware and glove that you can find just about anywhere these days), then it would likely be food safe and would be thermally stable.

My 2 cents worth...
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I'd agree, you don't want your shots tasting like an old inner tube. Blind baskets are cheap & the best solution.

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”