Empty the boiler regularly?

This forum contains various threads with photos on how to perform various maintenance and repairs on your S1.
clumeng
Latte

Empty the boiler regularly?

Post by clumeng »

If I don't use the hot water dispenser regularly, should I be removing water at a certain amount and interval as a maintenance to replace the water in the boiler (increased hardness as it sits there?)....the only reason to do this would be to reduce the amount of scaling I guess (~50ppm going in)

If so how much and how often?

Re: Empty the boiler regularly?

Post by cruiten »

I drain the steam boiler once a month as part of my preventative maintenance schedule; my filtered GH is similar to yours at 53 ppm.

You can read more about when and why you would want to do this in this topic: http://www.home-barista.com/knockbox/ho ... 12094.html
Endo

Post by Endo »

clumeng wrote:If I don't use the hot water dispenser regularly, should I be removing water at a certain amount and interval as a maintenance to replace the water in the boiler....
Are you talking about running the hot water cntinuously with the machine on or using the drain with the machine off?

I personally would avoid the first option since I'd worry it may expose the heating element to air and damage your machine (and it wouldn't totally refresh the water anyway).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It may be possible the rotary pump can keep up, but I wouldn't want to test it. (I own the Mini where LaSpaziale has install a hot water limiter to avoid this damage).
clumeng
Latte

Post by clumeng »

Endo wrote: Are you talking about running the hot water cntinuously with the machine on or using the drain with the machine off?
That's what I'm asking about...I don't know what should be done (if anything). Cruiten or others do you dispense a certain volume of water via the hot water spout with the machine on or do you actually drain it with the machine on and then refill?

Either way wouldn't it be just like when I initially startup up the machine in terms of exposing the heating elements to air?

Post by cruiten »

I should have stated that I own a Vivaldi II, not the Mini Vivaldi II.

Once a month I unplug the Vivaldi II when I go to sleep on a Friday night, and then on Saturday morning I move the machine over the sink and I just remove the steam boiler drain plug cap at the bottom of the machine. By draining the steam boiler after a healthy cool-down period I don't have to worry about burning my fingers... In addition, I also check to see if any solids come out of the steam boiler drain; so far I have only seen water. Once the boiler is drained I replace the cap, move the machine back into position, and I plug it back in which causes the steam boiler to refill.

I am not sure as to whether this approach will work for the Mini Vivaldi because I do not own one. Although, I seem to recall that the Mini Vivaldi does not have a steam boiler drain which would obviously make draining the boiler a bit more involved.

BTW: I believe Endo is worried about exposing a hot heating element to the air if I am not mistaken.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The latest batch of Minis do have a drain on the steam boiler so regular draining should be much easier. I'd consider draining via the drain plug (machine off & cool) monthly & drawing out some water at least weekly if not more often. The 2.5ltr s/b on the S1 only held 44oz of water so I'm guessing the Mini's 1.2ltr boiler would hold approx. half that?? I could draw 4 cups of hot water from the S1's water spout before the pressure feel off. If you can draw close to 1.5-2 cups you've replaced over half the water in there depending on when your refill kicks in. Make sure your reservoir is topped up so the refill isn't interrupted.

When the Vivaldi was in our kitchen we pulled 2-3ltrs of hot water a day out of the S/B so I only drained & flushed the S/B every 6-8 weeks. With the Speedster in a different part of the house we now use a stainless electric kettle for vac pot/Yerba Mate'/ect. I use the hot water wand for cleaning baskets & Americanos daily but I now drain/flush the 3.5 ltr s/b every week.
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

In keeping with Johns style,, I too flush a lot of water out of the steam boiler.

Once a day, my Father uses 20oz for his TableTop vacpot. every morning.

Then, I use it to rinse baskets and portafilters. Sometimes. Sometimes I use the group's water.. depends what im in the mood for.

For all milk drinks, I use it to heat the cups. For Espresso, the cups get plenty hot up top. Im not a fan of uber hot cups. Ruins it for me.

Americanos dont happen as much these days, but I still make them.

If I found I didnt use the hot water very much, Ill flush a 4cup measuring cups worth on the weekend.

Haven't found the need to use the drain plug yet.. Im sure the time will come.

BTW.. If I do use the drain plug to empty the boiler completely... Do I need to do anything when I plug it back in and turn it on? Or just turn it on and let if fill?
BobG

Post by BobG »

My water dispenser stopped working yesterday, but the steam boiler was working. I searched through this site and found everyone's helpful feedback. I regularly use the hot water dispenser, but I have never flushed my boiler and my machine is 5 1/2 years old (used daily). I followed the suggestions I found including removing the metal filter on the hot water tap and cleaning it as well as to drain the boiler. Mine definitely had some sediment as I had to poke a screwdriver up through the boiler drain hole after removing the bolt. It wasn't too bad, but there was some green sediment that came out initially.

I probably need to to descale the steam boiler as I noticed the pressure is in the very high portion of the green zone right now.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post the solution to the problems they have encountered.

BobG

Return to “Maintenance and Repair”