fresh roasted coffee

Discussion of various types and blends of commercially available pre-roasted beans, their best sources, prices, their respective merits, and the Vivaldi settings required to optimism flavor.
michael
God Shot

fresh roasted coffee

Post by michael »

when i get coffee delivered by mail from one or more of the roasters i see mentioned in this section, should i be waiting several days before using the beans or do the beans arrive already "degassed" (is that the correct term). if i have to let the beans "rest", how long should i wait and how does this work; do i just leave them on the counter with the bag open for a day or two or is there another way to do this?

if i plan on freezing the beans, is there anything i should do before freezing? 8)
JohnB

Re: fresh roasted coffee

Post by JohnB »

Depends where the beans are coming from & if they were roasted the same day they shipped. Should be a roast date on the bag so figure 3 days past roast date they should be good to go. Some blends won't hit their prime for 7-10 days but you can start sampling on the 3rd day, If the beans show up in less then 3 days just leave them in the bag on the counter to degas if you plan on using them up quickly. I freeze all my excess beans & usually wait until the 3rd day to freeze them but you could do it either way. My preference is to break them down into small lots & vacuum bag before freezing.

Return to “Pre-Roasted Beans”